[SOLVED] id please

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Tony Bebb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers/Pines
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Queensland Inc.

Re: [ID] please

Post by Tony Bebb »

Hi ima

Good calls Bougy.

Your tree is a Sargents/Shimpaku Juniper and will definitely like being outside in morning direct sun. General rule is to water every day unless wet and from the top is fine but make sure it gets enough to thouroughly wet it. It should have some slow release fertiliser built in the soil and giving it some liquid fertiliser every 2-4 weeks is good. Anything fish/seaweed based is good.

Regards

Tony
Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Click here to visit my Blog - A Bonsai Journey
ima_red
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by ima_red »

ok no worries, now knowing what type of tree i have helps alot :D ill head out and get some liquid fertilizer soon.

thanks for the advice tony, any other basic/routine tips??
Tony Bebb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers/Pines
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Queensland Inc.

Post by Tony Bebb »

Charlie Carp, Seasol Powerfeed os Maxicrop are all great ferts.

Needs a bit of a hair cut up the top. Pruning the longer shoots back to the main foliage silouette would be good and it will encourage the lower foliage too develop better. It could use a fatter trunk but this will take many years for this type of Juniper as it is a slower grower. You can use a bit of driftwood to make a falsr trunk to improve the age look. Search Tanuki or Phoenix Graft to get the idea.

Make sure it does get at least surface dry between waterings as Junipers are an arid zone species and like and can handle a dry mix as long as it is not bone dry. My Conifers get around 8-10 hours of direct sun and are very dry every day and they love it. As long as they are watered well the next day there is no problem.

Enjoy

Tony
Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Click here to visit my Blog - A Bonsai Journey
ima_red
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by ima_red »

Thanks mate!

Is it true the best way to prune junipers is to simply pinch off the longer foliage?? Also, I just searched the phoenix graft technique and it turns out looking pretty good!! so ill look into it a bit more.

Youve been very helpful :)

Return to “Species Identification”