Which 5 pots do you like?

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.

Which 5 pots do you like?

5%
5%
2%
2%
3%
3%
3%
3%
2%
2%
4%
4%
2%
2%
3%
3%
6%
6%
1%
1%
2%
2%
2%
2%
2%
2%
1%
1%
2%
2%
1%
1%
2%
2%
1%
1%
3%
3%
2%
2%

Total votes: 586

Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: Which 5 pots do you like?

Post by Rory »

Okay I have an idea, to help our potters in Australia and buyers of potters in Australia.....

Why don't I email all our potters and get them to send me 20 pics of their favourite pots, (oval, round, square, rectangle, free form, cascade etc), and that way all the users can vote on the top 5 of a list of 20 pots all made by the one potter.
So each thread is a separate potter. So we could have like 10 threads, showing the 10 different potters' pots showcasing and voting to see which would be the most preferred.

Then, if the potters are happy, they could use this very useful information for their work to better gauge what would sell better for them. For the rest of us, its fun and we get to see more pots and a bit of a laugh and watch the mud fly.
Then the potters can just leave it there if they wish, or give their okay to be pitted against others in the first pot-off. So you could put everyone who is happy to have their photos compared, in a combined semi-final / final pot contest.

It sounds like fun, and I think surely the potters would love to participate.

Please tell me your thoughts, everyone???

Also, throw out suggestions for the name of the potters showcase threads.
I think the Iron Potter is perhaps too much of a rip-off of the iron chef. :palm:

-The Clay Potters
-The Mud Slingers
-The Mud Files
-Mud vs mud
-The greatest clay of all time
-The school of hard clay
-All fired up
-Australian clay
-Outback clay

Or if they sound dumb, then just call it what it is.... Australian potters showcase threads

Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Rory wrote:Okay I have an idea, to help our potters in Australia and buyers of potters in Australia.....

Why don't I email all our potters and get them to send me 20 pics of their favourite pots, (oval, round, square, rectangle, free form, cascade etc), and that way all the users can vote on the top 5 of a list of 20 pots all made by the one potter.
So each thread is a separate potter. So we could have like 10 threads, showing the 10 different potters' pots showcasing and voting to see which would be the most preferred.

Then, if the potters are happy, they could use this very useful information for their work to better gauge what would sell better for them. For the rest of us, its fun and we get to see more pots and a bit of a laugh and watch the mud fly.
Then the potters can just leave it there if they wish, or give their okay to be pitted against others in the first pot-off. So you could put everyone who is happy to have their photos compared, in a combined semi-final / final pot contest.

It sounds like fun, and I think surely the potters would love to participate.

Please tell me your thoughts, everyone???

Also, throw out suggestions for the name of the potters showcase threads.
I think the Iron Potter is perhaps too much of a rip-off of the iron chef. :palm:

-The Clay Potters
-The Mud Slingers
-The Mud Files
-Mud vs mud
-The greatest clay of all time
-The school of hard clay
-All fired up
-Australian clay
-Outback clay

Or if they sound dumb, then just call it what it is.... Australian potters showcase threads

Hi Rory,

I love this idea, as long as all off the potter's involved are happy to have their pots pitted against each other like that.

I think that if done correctly and respectfully, this could greatly benefit the potter's of Australia in receiving across the board feedback, in turn benefiting the whole Australian Bonsai community. Last thing I'd want to do is turn our great local talent off making us any future beautiful pots.

I do love these threads and follow them with great interest, going back and checking which number is which when someone posts their favorites is always interesting :reading:

I sure hope the potter's are happy to get onboard and I look forward to the first running of the Iron Potter! :yes:

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Also just further to my last I think it would be most beneficial to have sub-categories for stuff like best glaze, best texture, best feet, most proportionate etc. That way it will more accurately be able to benefit the talent that we have here at home to help with narrowing down what it is that the majority of the AusBonsai are really after :Aussie:

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on June 19th, 2016, 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger
Favorite Species: Acer
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Soc.
Location: Adelong ....midway between Sydney and Melbourne, off the Hume Hwy

Post by Pat K »

The silence tells a tale Rory.....I don't think it will get off the ground.

Personally, I'd like to see an exhibition of locally made pots at a national bonsai show...NBPCA or Symposium of Aust Plants as Bonsai. No judging, no prizes and even tho' there will be egos (we're human, after all), hopefully they wont get in the way.

pk
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by regwac »

I'm with Pat . Artwork should not be "marked" out of 10 , nor given second place or whatever . A photographic gallery places emphasis on the skills of the photographer as much as the potter . A gallery of pots at a place like the NBPCA is a great idea . Cheers . Graham
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Hmmmmm, sounds like fun... :lost: but do we really want our local potters to do the same type of pots. Isn't it their creativity and individual artistic expression that we crave? :aussie:
PK's pots with their ash glazes. Joanne's wonderful glaze techniques. Lorain Simpson's textured pots etc.... Just to name a few off the top of my head.
Lets not stifle their creativity by voting them against each other. Just because one pot is more popular doesn't mean the least popular pot wont have someone see their tree in it. :imo:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

This is a really interesting test, thanks Rory!

I chose 3 Aussie and 2 Japanese, but not the winner!
Paul W
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Crape Myrtle
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Post by Paul W »

That would be fairer,as I think that was hardly fair to judge that way,,I know for sure Pat has far better pots that those, that you have of his,even have one or two myself :imo:
Last edited by Paul W on June 19th, 2016, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.
A. A. Milne
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

KIRKY wrote:Hmmmmm, sounds like fun... :lost: but do we really want our local potters to do the same type of pots. Isn't it their creativity and individual artistic expression that we crave? :aussie:
Of course, I have and will always agree with that. :yes: I don't quite understand the comment. (I"m not being smart). I honestly mean, they all make round, free-form, oval etc etc etc.
KIRKY wrote: Lets not stifle their creativity by voting them against each other. Just because one pot is more popular doesn't mean the least popular pot wont have someone see their tree in it. :imo:
Cheers
Kirky
It is just a bit of fun. It is the same as the current Shohin bonsai competition. Our wonderful bonsai artists are submitting their great little trees in a comp against each other .... it is no different.
If squizzy wins, or Kez wins, or if even Pat K wins, we aren't going to stop styling and shaping our trees the way we do, because someone one the shohin comp with a particular styled tree? :D
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

Pat K wrote:The silence tells a tale Rory.....I don't think it will get off the ground.

Personally, I'd like to see an exhibition of locally made pots at a national bonsai show...NBPCA or Symposium of Aust Plants as Bonsai. No judging, no prizes and even tho' there will be egos (we're human, after all), hopefully they wont get in the way.

pk
regwac wrote:I'm with Pat . Artwork should not be "marked" out of 10 , nor given second place or whatever . A photographic gallery places emphasis on the skills of the photographer as much as the potter . A gallery of pots at a place like the NBPCA is a great idea . Cheers . Graham
I understand what you both are saying. I very much respect both your opinions Pat and Graham, as you both know very well how much I adore your pots.

However I don't see how this is any different from the Shohin Bonsai competition that is currently being held right now on this site? :lost:
After all, I think most people, myself included, don't care if we win the comp. We are just in it for the fun, the experience, to enhance, learn and talk about bonsai and the comp makes it a bit of fun. I would have thought this is the exact same for bonsai pots?

Having them on display at the NBPCA or a Symposium is only going to be on display for.... those that have the $$$$ or the luck to have it in their area. Whereas this way everyone, poor or wealthy would get to view the fun and beauty of a showcase of pots.

But if you feel that way, then that is a bugga. :beer: :crybye:
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Well Rory, you have put it out there it is now upto the potters if they want to play. Let see what happens.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger

Post by Pat K »

Rory,

I don't think many potters are in it for "a bit of fun". We enjoy what we're doing but the expenses can be high and we sell pots to recover our money and hopefully have a little over for our daily bread. Placing in a comp as you've described could mean much in future sales to the successful, while not placing could perhaps, have a negative effect. And, make no mistake, even if no one cares if they win or lose in the Shohin Comp (which I don't believe), the potters will certainly care where they place in a Pot Comp.
For these reasons I doubt you would get many starters. If I'm wrong and even three or four potters like the idea of a comp, please count me in.
On the other hand, an exhibition as I've described is not threatening and hopefully all potters would be involved. Your model depends on photos of pots...well, photos could be taken of a pot exhibition and published on AusBonsai, and then we can all see them. No way I could be described as wealthy but I would certainly travel to see a pot exhibition, in the flesh.
Just by way of finishing up Rory, I must say how much I appreciate your efforts in lifting the visibility of all the bonsai potters and quite possibly, pushing forward the standard....good on yer mate!!!

Pat
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger

Post by Pat K »

Paul W......I think you're taking the mickey :? :)

Pat
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

you have an interesting idea Rory, but i think I agree with Pat as the potters are trying to make a living ( or pocket money), and as such would not really want to "compete" for the potential financial implications.

I totally agree that an Exhibition of the best the potters have to offer would be an astounding show or display and if we could pull it off then am sure we can highlight the photos on Ausbonsai.

Mabe the potter can take some special pictures of their best in each category and we can have an online exhibition here?

re the likening it to Our Shohin comp, i do not think that a fair comparo as none of us( as far as i know) are out to make a living out of Finished Bonsai sales? ( except maybe Shibui and Bodhi)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

kcpoole wrote: Mabe the potter can take some special pictures of their best in each category and we can have an online exhibition here?
It would be lovely to see that.
Pat K wrote:Rory,

I don't think many potters are in it for "a bit of fun". We enjoy what we're doing but the expenses can be high and we sell pots to recover our money and hopefully have a little over for our daily bread. Placing in a comp as you've described could mean much in future sales to the successful, while not placing could perhaps, have a negative effect. And, make no mistake, even if no one cares if they win or lose in the Shohin Comp (which I don't believe), the potters will certainly care where they place in a Pot Comp.
For these reasons I doubt you would get many starters. If I'm wrong and even three or four potters like the idea of a comp, please count me in.
On the other hand, an exhibition as I've described is not threatening and hopefully all potters would be involved. Your model depends on photos of pots...well, photos could be taken of a pot exhibition and published on AusBonsai, and then we can all see them. No way I could be described as wealthy but I would certainly travel to see a pot exhibition, in the flesh.
Just by way of finishing up Rory, I must say how much I appreciate your efforts in lifting the visibility of all the bonsai potters and quite possibly, pushing forward the standard....good on yer mate!!!

Pat
I completely understand everything you say Pat. :yes:
I apologize for how this thread may have been perceived by potters. I didn't look at it through potters' eyes, so I see what you are saying.

I wont email potters about a showcase of pots. :)
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”