Bottle Brush
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Repot and prune now?

Post by Pearcy001 »

I got this callistemon subulatus recently.

1. - Just wondering if I should be repotting it now or is it too late?

2. - if it is a yes to repotting it now, should I cut back the top growth before I repot, or a couple of weeks after repot to try get some roots regrowing.

Toward the top it is beginning to get the circling roots, thus making me think I may be better off repotting now rather than next summer.

I'm new to the species so advice would be appreciated. I believe Calli's are fine being bare rooted and root pruned, if I'm wrong let me know.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on February 3rd, 2016, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Re: Repot and prune now?

Post by Jarad »

That's a nice piece of stock you have there. I thought it was slot larger until I saw the picture with your thumb in it.

I don't have any experience with this species, but if it was mine I would at least tease out some of the roots and slip it in a bigger pot with some fresh dirt.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

According to wiki Spring/Summer repot so you should be right.
https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... =Repotting
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I don't get it. Why bother repotting now when there is still a chance we could see 40* C and 5% humidity when you can wait until mid March?? There is no NEED to do it now..
Mike
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I do all my Callistimon, Eucs, Casuarina in early summer.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by Brian »

some growers say that natives are in a state of semi dormancy at this time of year and its a good time to repot.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I re-potted some Callistemons and Melaleucas last week. They do not seem to have any problem with root work when it is hot but some banksias I root pruned in March a few years ago as a trial just sat and sulked all winter. It was just a bit too cool for them to get going again at that time of year. I re-pot any natives from late spring through to late summer and most survive and grow really well after, even if the weather is hot.
if it is a yes to repotting it now, should I cut back the top growth before I repot, or a couple of weeks after repot to try get some roots regrowing.
I usually prune and re-pot in the one operation but I did see a post from Pup where he said he pruned a week or 2 before re-potting.
Toward the top it is beginning to get the circling roots, thus making me think I may be better off repotting now rather than next summer.
Those circling roots are the result of starting in a small tube. They have been there since this tree was a baby. I doubt you will be able to unwind them but :fc: More likely you will have to cut off the worst of them.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

The question should really be not whether you can do it now but whether it is advisible. Generally the answer must be no. All my natives are in the absolute full growth phase at this very moment. I want them to put on the maximum amount of wood they possibly can. Now, what will a root pruning do to them. Answer: reduce growth..Simple. So, unless it is necessary for some valid reason, such as an emergency like a broken pot, or you don't have the time do it at the correct (preferable) period, then I can only repeat that you shouldn't.
Pearcy, IMO, you will get more from the tree by feeding and watering it well now rather than touching the roots. Repotting now, it will take more than 1 month (at least) before it has reached the potential for growth (and trunk thickening) that it has right now. By that time it will be starting to slow down due to the cooler weather.
Slipping it into a larger pot without touching the roots would be ok (although that has it's own problems) but probably unnecessary.
Another point. If you were to repot now you would need to not just trim the roots but cut back the top circling roots quite hard so they emerge from the trunk in a more or less straight line. There are many fine feeder roots connected to these main ones which will set it back more than usual.
I'm with Ken on this one. Next Nov-Dec.
Last edited by treeman on February 3rd, 2016, 6:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mike
macca66
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by macca66 »

:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :crybye: :crybye: :crybye:
macca66
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by macca66 »

:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :crybye: :crybye: :crybye:
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

kcpoole wrote:I do all my Callistimon, Eucs, Casuarina in early summer.

Ken
ditto.

Though I am not as ... strict.... as some of the members here. I simply start repotting when I have the time, about December but I have no qualms doing casuarina / callistemon in October / November.
From previous experience I am strict with Eucs, and I only try to repot Eucs in Summer, but Callistemon I don't see any problem. I have repotted 2 just recently. I understand what Mike is saying, but I'm just not that fussed. 8-)
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Thanks all for the replies.

I received this tree as a Christmas present and at the time it had next to no foliage due to previously being briefly stressed in the hot summer heat. In the last 6 or so weeks since getting it, the foliage has grown approximately 20-30cm all over the tree.

I had not pulled the tree out of its pot until a couple of days ago and became unsure once I saw the circling roots, thus resulting in this thread.

I will follow the guidance on here and leave the tree until the start of next summer to repot.

As for the foliage - this tree is very much in the growth stage at the moment as Mike said about his. I'll give the foliage a strong haircut to attempt to induce some back budding.

Thank you all greatly for your advice.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on February 4th, 2016, 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mountainman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 35
Bonsai Club: Nepean & BSA

Post by mountainman »

I find anytime through late spring to Feb,no later is fine.Heavy rootpune, to eliminate twisting roots, trim tree hard before you do it,same day of course,and you will be fine.Use very coarse open mix, to let the oxygen in to the root system.Style, wire, of course, before you repot.Just finished all of mine this week.Will reshoot within 10 to -14 days.Give them lots of sun, and air movement,but not on temps over 30'deg.Never do any natives in winter, to cold. The warmer the climate you live in, the more choices for repotting.The reason is because most natives, goes into semi dormancy,after their flush of growth,which could be 3-5 times per year.When you see the new tip growth of some of the branches, that is the optimum time to rootprune.So you can have up to 5 times per year to do it.Don't wait..
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

We are heading into a week of temperatures in the late 30s to early 40s, so any thoughts of re potting is going to have to wait. I did a Banksia Late November, next day it was 48 so it sulked for a while I have some shoots that got singed. Lost two Melaleuca cuticularis though. So saying when and what time is reliant on weather in your area.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Pup wrote:We are heading into a week of temperatures in the late 30s to early 40s, so any thoughts of re potting is going to have to wait. I did a Banksia Late November, next day it was 48 so it sulked for a while I have some shoots that got singed. Lost two Melaleuca cuticularis though. So saying when and what time is reliant on weather in your area.

Cheers Pup
At what predicted Temps would you consider NOT doing them?
what is be your upper limit to do so safely?

For me here in Sydney i doubt very much that we would get anything much over low 30s and quite high humidity from now on so if I needed to I would not hesitate.

@treeman.
So you woukd not repot now for the concern of slowing the trees development down, but what about a tree that is already developed? you would not need to have it power on anyway so why not do them thru summer to force them to slow down.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries

Return to “Callistemon”