Sunseeking Mels.

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: Sunseeking Mels.

Post by GavinG »

Rory, we've had three La Nina wet seasons, with high humidity - that might be why the WA Mels have foundered. Also you are coastal - the humidity is normally higher than they are used to back home. My Acacia aneura (arid-zone mulga) have not done well in the last three years, even in Canberra, which is drier. Maybe some WAs just don't like it here... The swampy species might do better.

G
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

GavinG wrote: March 14th, 2023, 9:10 am Rory, we've had three La Nina wet seasons, with high humidity - that might be why the WA Mels have foundered. Also you are coastal - the humidity is normally higher than they are used to back home. My Acacia aneura (arid-zone mulga) have not done well in the last three years, even in Canberra, which is drier. Maybe some WAs just don't like it here... The swampy species might do better.

G
Yeah I've had those similar thoughts before too. I've often been warned of WA trees not performing so well here.

At least the Euc I got from you is powering on. Can't wait to get it into a nice pot and update it. :D
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Ryceman3 »

boom64 wrote: March 12th, 2023, 7:21 pm Curios to see what you have done with your halmaturorums Ryce and you to Rory.
Cheers John
In short John, bugger all.
They are being left to grow and seem to keep getting put on the back burner as other projects/trees demand attention.
I only have 3 left from those I started from seed (although I do have more seed I think), the others were moved on in the name of space ... but here they are in all their glory!
I find them to be slow in thickening up and developing but like I said, they havent been getting much attention. The bark and leaf size is enough to keep me somewhat interested though. I should look to concentrate a bit harder and see what I can make.... yours offer a nice dose of inspiration!
:beer:
Mel-Hal_01.jpg
Mel-Hal_02.jpg
Mel-Hal_03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Ryce, looks very similar to a couple i have somewhere in the mass of trees out the back. I will ask again in a couple of years. Cheers John.

Return to “Australian Native Species”