Season's greetings (Eucs)

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Season's greetings (Eucs)

Post by GavinG »

"Tis the season, now you've repotted your Eucs (the hot weather has hit - go for it!) for the damn things to go COMPLETELY NUTS!!! And it's the season to get out there and knock off or nip off all the thousands of buds you don't want, because they shoot everywhere. The colours of these new shoots are one of the highlights of the year for me.

Eucalyptus mannifera:
P1000553.jpg
E. botryoides:
P1000555.jpg
You need to be careful when the buds all come from the one spot - you can easily knock them all off together, so it's sometimes better to nip them with nails or snips.

E. robusta:
P1000557.jpg
Angophora hispida:
P1000562.jpg
It has smooth bark, a bit boring, but the iridescent buds are off the planet...

E. crenulata:
P1000563.jpg
Small leaves, delicate shading, robust grower, barks up eventually - one of the best in my opinion.

E. punctata:
P1000564.jpg
Official bonsai chicken:
P1000567.jpg
They won't eat the Euc. leaves, unlike damn near everything else.

This little E. bridgeseana stump is barely 20cms high, and 6cms across the base. Earlier branches have died off - it reshoots at the base of the branches. I'm not sure how to handle this.
P1000574 (1).jpg
It also shoots profusely from the lignotuber at the base - if you leave these on, the whole top of the tree may die off!
P1000572.jpg
Best wishes for a productive summer.

Gavin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GavinG on December 29th, 2016, 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: Season's greetings (Eucs)

Post by Rory »

That is some lovely photos Gavin.

I love that stump you have growing! Do you mean the problem is that when you cut back the branches it shoots from the base of the branch and the remaining branch dies back? I have found this only happens on a few species, but more so if you constantly prune within weeks of each prune.

I don't know why a few people say if they leave the shoots from the base to grow that they worry the top will die.
Maybe it's different with certain species, but I find it just means you end up with multiple trunks, clumping together. I'm encouraging this on some of mine and they are looking nice for it.

E. Punctata is also one of my favourite eucs.
Robusta is as it says.... very robust I found.

Some of the smaller leaf varieties are just magnificent.

And the more round leaf varieties are simply delightful.

Thanks for sharing the photos Gavin, the new leaves on eucs are so much nicer than maples in my opinion.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by GavinG »

Rory, if I've spent some time developing a trunk I don't want it dying back and being replaced by some spindly basal shoots. Mallee style is certainly an option, but even then unless you're replacing the trunks every year (!) you still need to rub the basal shoots off.

The branches on the E. bridgeseana that only shot back at the bases had all grown for a full season. Others of the same species don't have this problem - what the hell, it's just a cantankerous old sod. It barks up early, and thickens well.

E. punctata grows like a demon, particularly if you can get the roots escaping into the ground from the pot...

E. mannifera is another goodie, and can have a very handsome bark-peeling season in December even when young.

E. robusta's probably not as free a grower down here due to the cold, but it survives.

I'll be interested to read what you come up with as you develop your Eucs.

Gavin
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia

Post by Rory »

Hi Gavin,

Yes, that base you have is fantastic looking though. That is a shame.

Yeah I grow all my eucs in orchid pots, then let the roots penetrate the ground. They thicken really quickly once they hit the ground.

I find that the leaves are just attractants for every damn leaf munching insect / animal in the world as well.

My eucs are still relatively young, so I am still just thickening trunks at the moment.
The myrtle rust really hits them when they are young.

Yeah I'd say mallets are my favourite, and corymbia citriodora. I tried my hand at Angophora hispidada but the soil wasn't draining well and I think I let it dry out trying to overcompensate. I should have reported and changed the soil. But the tree was lovely. :(

I wish I had started more eucs and casuarina 20 years ago, but I could never get them from nurseries back then. All they sold was mainly exotic crap.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Looks to me like you have embraced Euc's in a big way Mr "G" :o and have some nice specimens on their way.
Not sure about the "Isa" though and hope it was not Lunch?
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by GavinG »

Bodhi, the "Isa Browns" are definitely part of the family - great for the eggs, and won't be eaten. Excellent relationship re disposal of slaters and curl grubs.

Very much a learner on the Eucs, only 5 years. Lots to learn about branching and foliage shaping. Give me another 50 years, I reckon I'll have them sorted out.

Gavin
Lane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Undecided....
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by Lane »

What are peoples methods for keeping the fresh growth on Eucs unharmed from pests?

I use Confidor every week or so but the fresh new growth especially after large chops seem to be plagued by pests.

Return to “Australian Native Species”