Australian styled bonsai

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Australian styled bonsai

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Hi guys n gals,

So, after doing a bit of research I see we have some very unique styles here in Australia and I’m trying to learn as much as I can about bonsai and the styles of Australian bonsai.

I recently watched a YouTube video where the author had said his bonsai was done in the ‘mallee style’. I am curious to learn about what styles we have and look forward to creating my own.

So with that said, can anyone point out what styles we have or, is there a resource with examples etc? I made the mistake of trying to shape my Australian bonsai Japanese style, which I regret. I’ve seen so many amazing Australian bonsais online and would love to learn what I can!

Thank you for any help and/or pointers! I appreciate it
Mickey
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: Australian styled bonsai

Post by Rory »

If nature has taught me anything, its that grouping bonsai trees into styles, is something that should be left in the past.
Theres nothing wrong with saying for example... 'i want to grow this tree as a broom style, or an upright leaning etc etc'
But I just mean that nature has shown us that there are an infinite number of styles, and the best way to style your bonsai tree in an 'Australian style', is to use an actual Australian tree as your benchmark. And I don't mean a street-side tree that has had all its lower branches removed, and pruned constantly. I mean to use those beautiful trees in a paddock that are left to their own devices, or on the tops of mountains in a bush forest. Those are the fascinating trees that nature produces complex frameworks for us to use as a guide.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Stuartxt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by Stuartxt »

Totally agree Rory, Australian trees do not look right when they are styled in traditional methods.
Following aesthetic guidelines is OK to produce something that is pleasing to the eye, but should be done allowing the "Australian" to come out in the tree.
:flag:
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Thank you both so much for the replies. I completely agree. I love seeing a tree left to grow naturally without intervention. There are some amazing, huge melaleucas in the wetlands near me that really take your breath away.

My house mate constantly wants to shape and trim new trees I have planted and I’m always telling him to leave them alone and let nature take its course.

I like this mindset. I was confused watching the YouTube video where the author had stated ‘mallee’ style and I got thinking ‘is there a set of rules for Australian bonsai?’.

Very glad I can grow and be inspired by nature. Don’t get me wrong, I love Japanese style bonsai but, there’s just something so Australian about Australian bonsai that speaks to me so much more.
Mickey
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

Yeah I hear you buddy. When I started my travels into bonsai back in the '90s I was also guilty of styling my trees like the Japanese Bonsai books that I was reading at the time. Then eventually I just did my own thing, and now I am pretty much my own guide.

I no longer use books or 'experts' for teachings on styling...I use wild trees as my teacher.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Stuartxt wrote: January 19th, 2023, 10:02 am Totally agree Rory, Australian trees do not look right when they are styled in traditional methods.
Following aesthetic guidelines is OK to produce something that is pleasing to the eye, but should be done allowing the "Australian" to come out in the tree.
:flag:
''traditional methods'' started out as guideline to follow.
Eg, ''the top of the tree should come towards the viewer'' (it gives depth and is a good thing),
''There should be a main branch''. This can be very subtle but probably not done away with as it helps confirm the structure.
''The main branches should come forward not move towards the back'' Common sense and should be adhered to.
''Old trees have a rounded top and young trees have a pointed top''
This is pretty much true for all trees. Some do not but they are are few and far between.
''Old branches droop down'' Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.
The trouble is, that (as is the Japanese way), the refining on top of refining, generation after generation has lead to many trees which appear plastic and without any trace of naturalness. But don't assume that all Japanese follow this strict method. There are a few that go against convention. Just not that many. There are more people willing to improvise in the West but the idea we are talking about here is not new and has been discussed by Japanese bonsai people for as long as there have been bonsai. Those interested in natural looking bonsai should study Japanese discussions on literati trees - which is not a style but more a state of mind.
I should add that just growing a native tree in a pot without keeping important bonsai concepts in mind (like removing what is not necessary for example) will eventually leave you unsatisfied.
mel ericifolia.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

I was left unsatisfied by your reply Mike. :lol:

I get what you're saying....but I prefer to free myself of all those constraints.

I like the idea of placing a bonsai I've grown on a turntable, and let the viewer prefer which angle they like.
I strive to have my trees look different from all angles.
I detest the view that there should be a 'front'.
I also dislike the idea of a main branch / the top of the tree coming towards the viewer, etc etc.

I'm just different. :beer:
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Rory wrote: January 19th, 2023, 8:44 am And I don't mean a street-side tree that has had all its lower branches removed, and pruned constantly.
Don't disregard that some of these trees have got some great interest in their trunk lines & branches, which have been tortured by the hand of man ("professional arborists?") over many many years. I've seen some very interesting old street side trees that would make for awesome looking bonsai - especially callistemon, casuarina & banksia. Best to keep all options open when searching for inspiration. :imo:
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Rory post_id=298525 time=1674096113 user_id=5244]
I was left unsatisfied by your reply Mike. :lol:

I get what you're saying....but I prefer to free myself of all those constraints.
You can never do that. If you do, you will not want to prune away anything. The concepts of scale, proportion, depth and balance cannot be dispensed with.
I like the idea of placing a bonsai I've grown on a turntable, and let the viewer prefer which angle they like.
I strive to have my trees look different from all angles.
Well they're never going to look the same at all angles are they? One will inevitably be the best one. If you try to make all sides equally good, you will fail. For example, if the tree emerges from the ground other than vertically, one or more sides will have the base of the tree coming towards you. Sorry Rory but that is no good. :shake:
I also dislike the idea of .... the top of the tree coming towards the viewer, etc etc.
What is the option? The top going straight up or moving to the rear? The first option will lack the necessary depth and the second would look stupid. We are not - or should not be - trying to just do what we see in nature without thought to the way the actual space the tree occupies appears to the viewer. You want to have the feeling that your are standing in front of a real tree towering over you. The above methods are designed to achieve that. You can't just throw away tried and tested methods for the sake of it. Bonsai is an illusion not just a tree in a pot.
I'm just different. :beer:
Of that there is no doubt. :lol:
I also dislike the idea of a main branch

Here is a pine with a main branch. Can you spot it?
natbonbw.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Loving your free-spirited approach Rory! I’m going to take a page out of your book :tounge:

I do agree with you mike on basic rules. I feel these are important yet, strict rules seem like they are not made for Australian natives. Our trees and plants have such a unique aesthetic and in the bonsai world, I guess we have to find an in-between what the tree looks like in nature and what looks like a bonsai? That’s my take.

Really interesting discussion and I appreciate all the replies :D
Mickey
DaveZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by DaveZ »

Those videos would be Sam, Aussie Bonsai Bloke. I like what he is doing with his "Mallee Style". He's using Aussie trees and styling them to resemble mature trees that grow in his region. I imagine that's how most bonsai styles started out, people trying to emulate trees they were familiar with. At the end of the day, you style the tree however you want, the style doesn't need a name, but it's handy when communicating your ideas to others. And like others have said, some of the "rules" of bonsai are there because they are intended to guide you towards having a tree that has correct proportion/dimension etc to be pleasing to the eye, but half the fun, I've found, is trying different things and having those "aha" moments when it all clicks why things are done a certain way and slowly piecing the whole puzzle together.

Enjoy your trees.
Cheers.
DangerousDave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by DangerousDave »

Here are a few to think about..

Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Great questions / points made so far.

I guess given the variety of combinations of branching, trunk movement and so forth, no way to have a “complete list” of all styles for trees.

Making a miniature naturalistic version of something much larger in nature is hard to pull off convincingly.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Ps - dangerousdave’s 2nd last picture looks the best to me out of an impressive bunch.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by PWC »

Thanks for the pic's, they certainly tell a story of a long life of survival in a harsh environment.\
Peter.

Return to “Australian Native Species”