perfection?

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
chrisatrocky
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: CRBSInc., R'ton Bonsai Group, Cap Coast Bonsai Group

Re: perfection?

Post by chrisatrocky »

Bonsai is about what you as an artist, feels and puts into a tree. Yes, there are things which defines a bonsai, techniques and guide lines used, these are what distiguishes a bonsai from a bush in a pot, or a topiary. If you use all or just some of these techniques/guide lines you are creating bonsai. If you don't you are not. Using the so called 'Rules of Bonsai' want attain perfection in a bonsai. Only your ability and the material used, may do that. As for perfection in bonsai, that; I feel, is something just out of reach. I think we have to be satisfied with, "That's the best I can do."

If you strive for perfection, you will never know joy. If you strive for joy, you will always produce your best.

chris.
Last edited by chrisatrocky on July 11th, 2012, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a giant amongst my trees.
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

[quote="chrisatrocky". I think we have to be satisfied with, "That's the best I can do."

quote]

If it's the best you can do , you should strive to achieve better. Not be satisfied with "that's the best i can do". To be good at something you must always try to get better at it or What's the point of participating. you may never be as good as the next guy but who ever is :lost:.
adge0001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper & JBP
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Mornington Peninsula Bonsai Society

Post by adge0001 »

I think if everyone followed all the rules all the time, you would have a collection of "cookie-cutters".

"Don't make your trees look like bonsai's; make your bonsai's look like trees." Was that the quote?
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."
-Carl Sagan
chrisatrocky
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: CRBSInc., R'ton Bonsai Group, Cap Coast Bonsai Group

Post by chrisatrocky »

Craig, the best you can do is all there is, it doesn't matter how good you get, it will be the best you can do, at that time, and it will never be perfection.
You can improve on your previous best, but at the time you have to be satisfied with the best you can do. If you are not then you will end up with nothing but disapointment. My statement should have been read, "That's the best I can do." (with the understanding 'at this moment'). You, Craig have taken what I have written and twisted it to mean the opposite.

chris
I am a giant amongst my trees.
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

Ok if you say so :clap:
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by matlea »

You can only do your best... With the knowlege at hand...One other thing that can be hard to do at times is to be critical of your own design/ work... Particularly when a lot of time and effort has gone into the design.(true for design in general) ... But if one can overcome being 'precious' ( been guilty of that!) then the results and progression are usually better.
Sabamiki AKA Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Sabamiki AKA Craig »

Perfection is pursued but rarely attained. :flag:
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

The creation of this forum and what we are doing on this forum every day is part of the pursuit of perfection in some way. Since joining in 2009 I have seen a constant build up of quality and commitment from its contributors not to mention the way we are thinking about and discussing bonsai.

Here's to it. :hooray: :aussie: :beer:
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

:imo: ME :lol: :lol: :lol: :palm: Sorry ;) i am loving myself this morning. I will try and be more serious.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

bodhidharma wrote::imo: ME :lol: :lol: :lol: :palm: Sorry ;) i am loving myself this morning. I will try and be more serious.

Why :?: :?: :lol: :lol:
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

I want what he's on...

Gavin
Tony Bebb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers/Pines
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Queensland Inc.

Post by Tony Bebb »

I love this post and all that's in it.

Everybody is right in there interpretation of Bonsai, because it is different for everybody, but alot of us are similar.

Teaching Principles have been confused as Rules for a long time. The Japanese simply, and quite beautifully, came up with a process that would teach us a basis for artistically recreating images of nature. There is a combination of artistic principles of balance, direction and depth, mixed with characteristics of old mature trees like exposed roots and trunk, open structures with reducing spaces toward the top, and most importantly asymmetry and proportion. These are known as the Classical Rules, and I believe where we should start, and where we take it after that is up to us.

Always do your best, but never think for a minute that it will be as good as it gets. Otherwise I would never have done 8 hours wiring on my Fig. I have done my best. For now. Learn, grow and improve, but enjoy the ride.

Tony
Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Click here to visit my Blog - A Bonsai Journey
Samegyed
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Celtis
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by Samegyed »

Bit of a delayed post,

but nicely put Tony !
Wise words

Cheers,
Sam
Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal.
All this pain is an illusion.

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”