[Shinkitai] QLD Small Leaf Fig 1

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Lots
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast Tweed Bonsai Club

[Shinkitai] QLD Small Leaf Fig 1

Post by Shinkitai »

• Species name: QLD Small Leaf Fig
• Original height of stock: 22cm
• Where you obtained it from: Red Dragon Bonsai
• Cost of stock: $19
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Shinkitai on March 11th, 2013, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Shinkitai] QLD Small Leaf Fig 1

Post by Shinkitai »

QLD Small Leaf Fig 1 - 2 April 2013a.JPG
Starting Point. A bit of new growth with a quite a few buds for just a couple of weeks growing time. The DL had helped.

QLD Small Leaf Fig 1 - 2 April 2013b.JPG
An inspection of the roots showed that it had not long been potted from a cutting or an airlayer. There was lots of spagnum moss and a few roots growing, mainly on one side. The cut at the base looked fresh.
QLD Small Leaf Fig 1 - 2 April 2013 (back).JPG
The back of the tree which couldn't be seen that clearly in its original potting position showed a large ugly scar (or character depending how you look at it :lost: ).

QLD Small Leaf Fig 1 - 2 April 2013c.JPG
I had planned to keep the original potting position and bring one of the existing branches back towards the trunk base but none of the existing branches fit the bill and I didn't want to go to just a bare stump and hope for the right buds due to the time frame of the comp. It took a while but I found an unexpected pleasing angle when I stood it up a bit and tilted it forward. As a bonus 2 of the branches were in great position for my first primary side branches. There is a lumpy scar on the left side that I may keep, or may attack with the carver latter down the track.

QLD Small Leaf Fig 1 - 2 April 2013d.JPG
I removed the largest couple of roots and spread out the remaining, wiring them onto a tile. There were few roots on one side but hopefully with the new angle these will begin to grow.

QLD Small Leaf Fig 1 - 2 April 2013e.JPG
The two branches were wired into place. I left a bit of a stump above the new leader as I am not sure if these figs die back a bit or not. It was then repotted into a standard black garden pot with a few extra holes drilled in it for additional drainage, and given a good dose of seasol. When it has recovered a bit I will add some DL. Now to sit back and let it recover and grow some more.

When I purchased this I thought it had great potential, the closer I looked when I had it at home I started to think what the hell am I going to do with it, but after today's work I am back to looking forward to see how it develops :fc:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

Not a lot to update. The fig has sprouted some new growth but not a lot. With the weather here over the last few months it is probably too confused to know what it is meant to do :lost:
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

Repotted this one today, I am already getting lots of new growth on nearly all my trees this year so could be an early spring. Repotted into a free draining mix of approx 75% diamonite and 25% bonsai potting mix. The tile under the roots did a great job as had already developed radial root growth. I think leaving it for a full season would have seen these roots start to form a nice nebari but I wanted to get it into the smaller pot to get more time to work the structure for this comp.

Will let it settle for a bit and then start to hit it hard with the Dynamic Lifter.

Still not sure what to do with the knob on the left hand side, do I leave it and let the branch grow or do I carve it and try and get the one trunk line?
QLD-Small-Leaf-Fig-1---23-July-2013.jpg
My 2 & 1/2 year old son choose the pot, I think he made a great choice.
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

First wiring done. Can't see from the photo angle but wired some secondary branches on the main left hand branch.
QLD-Small-Leaf-Fig-1---6-Sept-2013.jpg
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

Not a lot to report, defoliated and waiting to develop secondary branches.
QLD Small Leaf Fig 1 - 30 Oct 2013.JPG
I am getting very random growth on my QLD Small leaf figs. This one is growing ok in its bonsai pot, the second one I bought at the same time is planted in to a large plastic pot and hasn't grown that much just one long thin branch with very large leaves. A couple of the cuttings I took have more growth than the parents they came off, whilst a couple of other cuttings are growing slowly. :lost: So I have no idea how it will react to the defoliation.
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

Hadn't realised how much this had progressed until I looked back at the previous post.

It is hard to tell from the photo but the lower primary branches have developed good secondary branching and it is starting to fill out at the top. I will defoliate again soon and wire all primary and secondary branches into place. All the branches look flat and young at their current angles so will bring them down a fair bit to add some age to match the base.
QLD-Small-Leaf-Fig-1---7-March-2014.jpg
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

QLD Small Leaf Fig 1 - 27 March 2014.JPG
Defoliated

QLD Small Leaf Fig 1 - 27 March 2014 (2).JPG
Wired

The top right looks a little empty but there are some promising buds that hopefully will give me something to work with to fix.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

I like where you are taking this. Very nice. :tu2:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

QLD-Small-Leaf-Fig-1---6-June-2014.jpg
It took a while to bud after the last defoliation but looks like it will burst out soon with a lot of new growth so should find enough to fill some of the holes. Will have a decision to make whether I defoliate one more time before final submission but will see how this flush of growth develops in early spring. The branches have sprung back up a fair bit so will need to rewire as well.
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

Final Submission

This has been an interesting one to work with. I have never played with QLD small leaf figs before so didn't know what to expect. They seems to grow a bit slower then my Port Jackson Fig. The restriction I placed on it by putting it in a pot early really seemed to work well to keep the leaf size down. The other one I started at the same time but withdrew from the comp has been put in a large growing pot and now has very big leaves.

I will keep this was as shohin size for now and keep working to fatten up the mid section to get more of an even tapper. It will probably need rewiring to get the lower branches to fatten up in the right direction as they do want to grow straight up all the time. I have never been decided on what to do with the knob on the side so will probably just leave it and see if it begins to rot and forces my hand on making a decision. At the moment I think it adds character.

Thank you to the organisers for putting on this comp, it has been a great learning experience for me and I think through forced action really accelerated my understanding. Taking the final photos has even added to my appreciation of good photography and composition. I still have a long way to go in that area! Definitely should have looked at the photos on the computer before I packed up as none are as good as I would have liked.
29 Sept 2014-46 .JPG
29 Sept 2014-57 .JPG
29 Sept 2014-51 .JPG

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”