Floods

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
Samegyed
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Celtis
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: nil

Re: Floods

Post by Samegyed »

Hi all,

I live at Rocklea brisbane, my house went completely under water for 3.5 days, bonsai included.
My hopes were high about saving my bonsai until I retured to the house and notice a thick slime of oily chemical residue on everything. 95% of the foliage has gone brown and dry, or droped of, it doesn't look good. I sprayed the foliage with water and organic soap, then rinsed to remove the oil.

Any advise on saving the plants that I have left would be greatly appriciated.

Should I defoliate the brown leaves?
Should I rinse the roots to remove the oily chemicals?

By the looks of them my chances are grim, I think.
Cheers

What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about.....Samegyed
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal.
All this pain is an illusion.
Tony Bebb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers/Pines
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Queensland Inc.

Re: Floods

Post by Tony Bebb »

That does not sound good.

St Brendans had oil everywhere also. From the car yards and wreckers apparently. Bloody aweful stuff.

Haven't had to deal with oil soaked trees before, but I reckon you've done well with the soapy water. If the species will allow I would defoliate, and I reckon you should repot the trees even though the time is not right to remove the oil from the soil as it will coat the roots and inhibit breathing. Keep them protected from sun afterwards.

I would be happy to come around to have a look for advice or help to do this or you could bring them to the Bonsai Society this weekend. Send me a message if you like with your phone number and I can follow up or you can call me on 0438 452 105.

Happy to help if you want.

Best Regards

Tony
Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Click here to visit my Blog - A Bonsai Journey

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”