How to remove unwanted Moss...?

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple

How to remove unwanted Moss...?

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Hi All,
I have a problem with moss growing over the nebari and up the base of trunks on some of my trees. My Chinese Elm has Moss that keeps returning around the nebari and exposed roots have all but rotted away. My tiger bark fig has it growing quite high up on one side of trunk roots seem to be fine with no damage. Now my favourite "Azalea Sao To Me" 2001 has its nebari covered and moss growing all the way just under the first lowest branch & has now progressed to growing around the inner edge of pot on top soil. I keep taking it off but it always returns. Is there a chemical or solution that I can use to rid the moss from my plants with out risk of negative effects or weakening of my trees. Any help & or solutions would be Great...

Thanks
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: How to remove unwanted Moss...?

Post by benbonsai »

Should sort itself out once the weather heats up
Slow and steady wins the race
Alby R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Canberra bonsai society

Post by Alby R »

Dim the lights and watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdR4MT1BpxA

Or,

I remember reading something about using a mixture of vinegar & water (50/50) in a spray bottle can sort the moss out (kill it) as well.

It’s a good idea to keep the moss away from the surface roots & base of your tree (says the guy with moss creeping up on the base of his own elm)

Good luck

:yes:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Some mo9ss species prefer to grow on trunks while others prefer ground.
I have one moss here that is definitely arboreal and climbs trunks and even grows in the branches.

I've used the 50:50 vinegar water mix for years now. It definitely kills the moss but does not seem to harm the trees. It only affects the moss you spray onto so for effective control I need to spray all round the trunk and any moss in the branches.
I try to avoid hitting leaves if possible but I have not noticed any leaf problems after spraying except for a tray of pine seedlings that I fully sprayed last summer. The seedlings were definitely set back and some even died so my advice is to limit contact with the foliage.
I have not tried different vinegar concentrations to see if weaker solution would work as well or stronger solution better or worse. Maybe something for some others to explore??

Vinegar is not a permanent solution to moss. If you have a source and the right conditions moss will grow back eventually. I spray 2-3 times a year here to manage that climbing moss.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Hi Neil, thanks very much will try it when the bad weather up here in Sydney settles and the sun breaks through… assuming that it would be more affective in dryer conditions?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I have never tried spraying in the rain so cannot say. I guess it depends how quick the vinegar affects the moss. It certainly turns brown in just a day or 2 so maybe first contact is enough and rain won't matter.
You could try and let us know what happens.....
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

You can just use straight vinegar (no need to bother diluting) with a small, medium or large paint brush depending on the area to be covered and dab it on. I did it about 2 days ago and am now the proud owner of dead moss on the trunk of my melaleuca which was getting overgrown. I watered it thoroughly beforehand … so that I didn’t need to water it for a few days afterwards, but I doubt that really matters... since it rained shortly after application. The moss directly next to the bit I painted remains green and healthy, only the part dabbed by the paintbrush with vinegar is affected.
You can use whatever vinegar you like… malt, apple cider, white, brown… it makes no difference.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I have sprayed moss as Shibui described with no ill effects and is a lighter touch on sensitive bark than painting on.
Just needs to stay dry long enough for the vinegar to dry as far as i can tell.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Copper sulphate. Dilute the crystals in water and spray. Will only kill the moss and will not harm the foliage.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Out of interest, can the dead moss after it has dried be burnt away by a lighter? Or is further removal not required? I'll try the vinegar spray at some point, but wondering if further removal of the dead moss is required?

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

Here’s a shot of the tree I was talking about from this morning. I don’t really have too many issues painting it on and as you can see you can be very specific about where it’s applied. I read from the original post the issue was nebari/trunk rather than trying to remove moss entirely from the tree and soil surface.
@Pearcy001, Generally I’ll wait until it’s completely dead and if it hasn’t just fallen off I’ll pick off the remainder with tweezers. I guess you could burn it if you like? The trees I have done have not had particularly fissured bark which I presume would make removal a bit more time consuming/difficult.
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Ryceman3 wrote:Here’s a shot of the tree I was talking about from this morning. I don’t really have too many issues painting it on and as you can see you can be very specific about where it’s applied. I read from the original post the issue was nebari/trunk rather than trying to remove moss entirely from the tree and soil surface.
@Pearcy001, Generally I’ll wait until it’s completely dead and if it hasn’t just fallen off I’ll pick off the remainder with tweezers. I guess you could burn it if you like? The trees I have done have not had particularly fissured bark which I presume would make removal a bit more time consuming/difficult.
I probably needed to give my last comment more context haha - burning away was in relation to a species like a flakey Casuarina trunk that would rip the bark away, not a species that can have it more easily removed. I was guessing the dead moss would still remain and need removing after it was sprayed, not just fall away.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I've tried removing it but, even dead, it's still stuck on pretty tight so I usually leave the dead moss on the trees. It seems to disappear after a while anyway.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30317

The above is a time lapse I will update showing the product 'Yates Anti-Rot' to remove MOSS.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227

Return to “Pests and Diseases”