Kunzea ( Snowman)

Hanro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Kunzea ( Snowman)

Post by Hanro »

Bought this from Bunnings in a 4" pot around 2015. From top of pot of top of tree about 350mm.The tree is suppose to reflect the look of a eucalyptus.
The background is a photo I took of some hills around my area. Changed it to B&W and tried to fade it out. Still not as subtle as I was hoping.
As Rory has indicated this variety has been easy to work with. The webbing caterpillar has been an issue but I keep a closer eye on them now.

Unfortunately the botanical gurus have said that it is endemic to New Zealand. So not an Australian native although it was sold to me as one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: Kunzea ( Snowman)

Post by Rory »

Beautiful bark on this one and beautiful tree, Peter.

Always a pleasure seeing your updates.
I've just cut back mine heavily recently as I'm trying to grow more smaller trees.

They're very hardy. I've removed a lot of root many times on this variety and they simply power on.
Excellent foliage for bonsai too - nice and small and compact. They're also very tolerant of heavy shade. Definitely the best Kunzea I've ever worked with.

:beer:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Hanro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hanro »

Hi Rory,

Thanks , I remove the loose bark on this tree regularly which revels the light bark under. It also had many flowers this year. Although I am trying not to buy any new material I am tempted to buy a couple more to grow on to medium size trees.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Who knows what the botanists have decided this week, but as far as I understand it, Australian species and varieties of Kunzea ericoides have been renamed Kunzea phylicoides - Australian species and varieties are still Australian, just with a different name. I agree about "Snowman" - it's great bonsai material, tough, interesting and very detailed.

Gavin
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Hanro wrote: January 4th, 2024, 12:06 pm Thanks , I remove the loose bark on this tree regularly which revels the light bark under. It also had many flowers this year.
Hi Peter . Cool tree . Have you found that removing the bark that you get advantageous buds forming .
Cheers Craig
Hanro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hanro »

Hi Graig

I haven’t had any on the older wood
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Hi Hanro,

First off, this is one of the first trees I came across searching the web for native bonsais and it’s still one of my favourites. It reminds me of a grand old white gum out in the paddocks where I grew up, it’s just awesome.

I had a question about “snowman”. Is this specifically a cultivar of ericoides? I finally managed to get some seed over here in WA but, I’ve never seen any snowmen for sale, seed wise or plants over here. Is it grown by cutting only (sterile being a cultivar)?

I managed to get some standard kunzea ericoides seeds which germinated and am in the process of growing. Snowman is just next level unreal 👌🏼
Mickey
Hanro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hanro »

Mickeyjaytee wrote: January 8th, 2024, 8:03 am Hi Hanro,

First off, this is one of the first trees I came across searching the web for native bonsais and it’s still one of my favourites. It reminds me of a grand old white gum out in the paddocks where I grew up, it’s just awesome.

I had a question about “snowman”. Is this specifically a cultivar of ericoides? I finally managed to get some seed over here in WA but, I’ve never seen any snowmen for sale, seed wise or plants over here. Is it grown by cutting only (sterile being a cultivar)?

I managed to get some standard kunzea ericoides seeds which germinated and am in the process of growing. Snowman is just next level unreal 👌🏼
Hi MickeyJT

The tree is from a local nursery called the Bywong Nursery.

Its on the Web.The following is an extract from there site on the Snowman.

A dense compact form of Kunzea ericoides. It has white lacy flowers and dark green foliage. This cultivar is frost hardy and slow growing, reaching 1 metre high x 50cm across. Best planted in full sun or light shade.
Hanro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hanro »

Mickeyjaytee wrote: January 8th, 2024, 8:03 am Hi Hanro,

Hi MickeyJT

The tree is from a local nursery called the Bywong Nursery.

Its on the Web.The following is an extract from there site on the Snowman.

A dense compact form of Kunzea ericoides. It has white lacy flowers and dark green foliage. This cultivar is frost hardy and slow growing, reaching 1 metre high x 50cm across. Best planted in full sun or light shade.

Return to “Kunzea”