Good time for potting Natives

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: Good time for potting Natives

Post by Rory »

Keels wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 7:26 am Gav, I re-potted my Grevilleas two weeks ago and everything was going so well so I thought I'd fertilize them......I like to push the boundaries with my fertilizing :twisted: but looks like Grevilleas like to push that extra fertilizer to the tips of their leaves.... :o such a rookie mistake the tips have all gone brown and the 85% of leaves have fallen off. There is still hope some might pull through :fc:
Very interesting thread this one. I have experimented many times with liquid fertilizer after repotting on a myriad of genus.
Now I simply don't use liquid fertilizer. I prefer slow release fertilizer.

However if it was me I would wait at least about 6- 8 weeks after a root prune before you use liquid fertilizer.

Some people say you can fertilize straight after a repot, but I don't find this to be safe.

I have lost or badly set back many Melaleuca and Leptospermum from fertilizing too soon after a root prune. The ones that don't get fertilized afterwards fair much better and recovered quicker.

Perhaps the new roots that grow are too sensitive to liquid fertilizer and can't tolerate it.... not sure, but I do know the statistics fair much better if you wait.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Re: Good time for potting Natives

Post by Keels »

Rory wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 8:04 am
Keels wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 7:26 am Gav, I re-potted my Grevilleas two weeks ago and everything was going so well so I thought I'd fertilize them......I like to push the boundaries with my fertilizing :twisted: but looks like Grevilleas like to push that extra fertilizer to the tips of their leaves.... :o such a rookie mistake the tips have all gone brown and the 85% of leaves have fallen off. There is still hope some might pull through :fc:
Very interesting thread this one. I have experimented many times with liquid fertilizer after repotting on a myriad of genus.
Now I simply don't use liquid fertilizer. I prefer slow release fertilizer.

However if it was me I would wait at least about 6- 8 weeks after a root prune before you use liquid fertilizer.

Some people say you can fertilize straight after a repot, but I don't find this to be safe.

I have lost or badly set back many Melaleuca and Leptospermum from fertilizing too soon after a root prune. The ones that don't get fertilized afterwards fair much better and recovered quicker.

Perhaps the new roots that grow are too sensitive to liquid fertilizer and can't tolerate it.... not sure, but I do know the statistics fair much better if you wait.
I totally agree that applying liquid fertiliser straight after or couple weeks after a root prune isn't the best option. Lesson learnt I will wait till that 6 week mark and see how it goes in the future.

Return to “Australian Native Species”