Ericifolia, Integrifolia, Marginata, Serrata, Spinulosa etc
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Too late to repot BI?

Post by Ryceman3 »

Got a few Banksia Integs that had a chop over a month ago and have budded prolifically since then. I was planning on repotting a week or so after the new growth appeared but unfortunately work/life got in the way and it never happened. Is it too late to repot now? They're not in desperate need, all 3 are only smallish (25mm or so at trunk base) but ideally I would've liked to have done it this year so if there is still a window I'd like to get it done ... If not and it's too late - well... Such is life!
:beer:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Too late to repot BI?

Post by shibui »

It is getting close to the end of banksia potting season here. My trials showed that March is too late but it is a bit warmer down there so maybe still ok for you.
Slip potting is a good option for banksia because they don't have many thick roots. Just ease the intact root ball out of the pot and put it into a larger pot and backfill with fresh mix. I usually break the edges of the root ball up a little and cut any larger circling roots when slip potting so the roots are more inclined to grow out into the new mix.

If you don't re-pot now make sure you do early next summer or they will be so pot bound you will have trouble watering when it warms up next summer. I know that from bitter experience.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Thanks Shibui,
I think the long term forecast is for a warmer than average Autumn so I think it might be worth the risk in that case, will probably go the slip pot method you suggest, something to sort out tomorrow!
Cheers,
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Grant might chime in here with his expertise otherwise he gave a brief overview in his thread on them.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=812
Grant Bowie wrote:If you live in Sydney or further north, you may be able to pot-on nursery stock every six months or so to achieve quick growth. If you live in Canberra or cold areas of Victoria or N.S.W, you may need to allow more time in each size pot, say twelve months. Pot in early summer to avoid excessive new growth on the tree going into winter; soft new foliage can be badly damaged by frost and lead to problems with die-back etc.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Should still be OK to repot B integrifolia for another couple of weeks as the new growth has already started and should be hardened off well and truly before winter.

You just have to be careful if you live in a frost prone area and have forced new growth in late autumn which can get damaged.

I am working on a B integrifolia tomorrow at the Native symposium in Canberra at the ANBG.

The show opens at 9am.

Grant
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Thanks for the input both Rory & Grant,
I have Grant's Integ thread bookmarked and refer to it regularly... It's the Banksia Bible. :tu:
Just wanted to make sure working them now wasn't a death sentence.

I wasn't much into them (I must admit) but got some tube stock last year just to give them a shot and the development and growth in 12 months or so is astounding... Excellent to work with - I'm converted!

Good luck with your demo @ Native Symposium Grant, needless to say you won't need it though. There's a good chance I'll be working on an Integ tomorrow too, probably not at quite the same calibre however! ;)

Return to “Banksia”