Developing an Australian Bonsai Style/Culture

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Jiro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Can I like them all?
Bonsai Age: 18

Developing an Australian Bonsai Style/Culture

Post by Jiro »

Hello all,

There is always talk about defining an Australian style/culture and it really does feel like the Australian bonsai community is moving towards defining it at this stage.

On a recent trip the Chinese Gardens in Darling Harbour with my son I had something of a eureaka moment. Everything within the gardens is there for a reason, every rock every tree planted, every water feature has meaning or representation. And it is of course the same with Japanese gardens. When later walking through Darling Harbour there are some modern garden beds planted out with Australian natives, they look nice but lack any defined meaning beyond looking nice.

So my thoughts are, beyond looking to the landscape for inspiration in native bonsai (which is of course critical) what else can we use to guide ourselves in making a distinctly Australian style and bonsai culture?

For instance:

* Seasons - What do the seasons mean to us? What meaning do we as a culture place on each season? How do we imply feelings of summer, winter, spring and autumn? Many native species flower in winter is a first thought. And Summer immediately strikes me as a prominent 'feeling' (if that makes any sense).

* Life and death - One thing becomes immediately clear if you spend any time in the Australian bush and that is that life is on a knife edge. Death is something you see and become more aware of. We live in a very rugged and harsh environment and the struggle is real!

* Culture - Australians tend to take the piss, push back on authority, and have a sense of freedom and individuality that is most definitely far removed from Japanese culture. However we also have a plethora of other influences due to the melting pot of culture. In the rubric of bonsai we can also look to Vietnamese, Philipino, Indoneasian, Chinese and European influences (that being said the internet is also bringing North America to our doorstep). I also think it would be fascinating to look to Indigenous culture for influence regarding meaning and symbology in our native species.

I'm out of time and I didn't properly think about how I'd articulate my thoughts before I began writing so i'll finish up but please discuss and add your thoughts on the topic.

Thanks guys!
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Developing an Australian Bonsai Style/Culture

Post by TimS »

I have thought a little about this over the years, and came to the conclusion that one style will never really cover all of Australia, purely in how different the climates are around the country.

America is similar in how varied their climates can be; can one style really cover arid deserts, tropical rainforests, exposed alpine plateaus etc?

What influences style too? Is it professionals bringing their learned styles back from overseas and them becoming widely accepted? Is it recognised recreation of nature? Is it more abstract artistic influences?

I guess I ask, do we need an Australian style at all? Does a style forced upon trees make them better for being recognisably Australian?

I don’t have any answers, so I’m just growing trees in styles I like.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Jiro wrote: September 16th, 2019, 12:20 pm * Culture - Australians tend to take the piss, push back on authority, and have a sense of freedom and individuality...
Interesting subject to consider Jiro, I probably need to put more time into contemplating it but my initial reaction was based on your comment above. If we were to get all “formal” and try to encapsulate what makes a bonsai Australian through a series of rules, or even guidelines for that matter I feel there may be backlash!
In many ways I agree with TimS in that we are a very large land mass with lots of different climatic conditions and tree/plant species. I fear it might be difficult to use a broad brush stroke and label one (or more) thing “Australian”... leaving others ignored or under valued as identifying as uniquely Australian.
Just an initial thought... I’ll keep thinking, you did get me thinking!!
:yes:
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:imo: Aussie trees always look best dressed in Aussie made pots.., good Aussie potters know the correct glaze colours, tones and textures to compliment many of our native species.

Otherwise…?
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

:lol: :lol: @ KC&R

It doesn't need to be over-complicated.
When growing and styling Aussie natives, just use the real trees in nature as your model framework.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Jiro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jiro »

Well, what I'm getting at is the underlying meaning or significance; why something may be considered art the thought and purpose put into subtle nods which invoke feelings and emotions in the viewer. I can plant a native garden and it can look nice but it holds little significance in comparison to the cultural depth a japanese or chinese garden has.

In a way as mentioned above 'i go with whatever style i feel' could be considered an aspect of Australian bonsai culture and there is certainly a lot to be gained in that freedom. Although as with other art forms, like say music, if you want to produce something to a decent standard you need to learn the rules before you can break them.

The size and ecological differences of the Australian continent aren't a road block in my view as they simply become subjects open to representation within the art form. In fact the coast is something extremely significant in Australian culture and there would most certainly be ways we could represent and encapsulate that through use of species and design elements.

As for Australian pottery there are potters out there producing pieces which are uniquely Australian and that is fantastic but to a degree that is also happening organically. Can we take that to another level by thinking about and exploring these types of ideas?

For instance I have seen Banksia serrata growing right at the edges of a beach, where the tree line meets the sand, I've seen them on coastal cliffs, in the 'plains' of western Sydney and up in the blue mountains. If you or i wanted to invoke any one of those particular micro climates how would we do so? What design elements would we use in styling the tree? How would the pot look? Deep, shallow, free form... what colour? glazed unglazed?

I believe that the experience and knowledge held by the people on this forum is strong enough that we can have these discussion and come to some pretty good conclusions. Not rules, but ideas and concepts.

Also, KCandR you make a funny point but I'm not suggesting that rather the opposite; how can we better make sure we aren't doing that by setting out parameters which invoke Australia. If we aren't doing that then we are in fact just playing dress ups in kimonos.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I grow what is easiest for me, and that is Japanese Maple, Trident Maple, Chinese Elm and Ginkgo. I am yet to find a native plant that I have any luck with in a pot; She-oak, Lepto, Melaleuca, Euc I’ve tried to no success. They might start well, but go downhill rapidly, so I stick to my exotics.

Every so often I feel like trying again, but why bother when I know the end result already.

Pretty much what appeals to me is a correct sense of scale and likeness to the tree in nature, or aesthetic beauty. Outside of that I couldn’t care less what the species is, where in the world it is grown, but that doesn’t factor into an Australian conversation.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Jiro wrote: September 16th, 2019, 4:50 pm Well, what I'm getting at is the underlying meaning or significance; why something may be considered art the thought and purpose put into subtle nods which invoke feelings and emotions in the viewer.
This type of thinking made it difficult for me to continue with bonsai at one time..a long time ago.
Now I selfishly enjoy bonsai just for me.
I'm a backyard gardener.
Am I to spew out an artist's statement every time I go to put a plant in a pot? ..Are we having fun yet?
Rory wrote: September 16th, 2019, 4:10 pm It doesn't need to be over-complicated.
:yes:
SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Post by SquatJar »

In my very short time in bonsai the only 'style' I've really identified so far in Australian bonsai is the Eucalyptus style. Lots of 'pads' that aren't really pads, very open and airy and many slender wavy branches supporting those pads. Maybe clouds of foliage is a better term and maybe this isn't even a style, more a description of the trees structure.
Life's too short for boring pots
鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Korean Bonsai Association

Post by 鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai »

Going to add my two cents and anyone is welcome to disagree.

On Culture
I would like to see a culture develop where bonsai and penjing are more accessible to more people. However, I want to see that happen while following the central principles of bonsai as which started in Tang.....which is the core of the art.
People tend to make a mountain out of a mole hill and it was always a hobby that was designed for relaxation so getting people to view it as such would be good (as is the view in most of Asia).

On Style
I disagree that a uniquely Australian style needs to be developed.
Styles in the relative countries have developed over centuries and the Australian bonsai history has only just begun in comparison. Let's walk before we run. I mean no offense, I just think this is something that will happen regionally as time progresses. Right now rather than styling there needs to be a sustainable future for bonsai in Aus.

When I open my nursery I plan to do just that. Reasonable prices and quality material. The high price in Aus justs puts too many newbies off.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

I agree that
"it doesn't have to be overcomplicated" (quote]. I like to apply the KISS rule most of the time. Most of my Australian trees I try to grow as they would in nature, only in miniature. The exotics I do try to style in more traditional styles, but grow them mainly to please my eyes, not a judge in some competition.
On a lighter note, if you want an Aussie style , try shorts, singlet & thongs.
Cheers, Frank.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Ha! I love this thread because I am so conflicted. Part of me is saying: “Who cares! If you like it, just do it! Why even get hooked up in the discussion?" Yet another part of me likes the idea of a discussion on an Australian style, whatever that may mean.

So prepare for a ramble. If you want to turn off now and save yourself 10 minutes – no drama - stop reading. Enjoy the pastime of Bonsai for whatever it means for you.

If you do have a few minutes, let's wander around the garden and explore some thoughts. Hey, you’ve been warned... are you sure that want to head off on a walk?

OK, let’s go. Before we discuss what Australian Bonsai might mean – I should declare my bias and what this hobby means to me. In short, it’s part of how I remain mentally healthy. I enjoy the hobby on a number of levels.

On one level – I enjoy trying to create forests and landscapes; often closer to what one may call penjing than bonsai perhaps. I’m not too hung up on rules - if I like it or have an idea – I'll give it a crack. Along the way I try to learn tips and techniques underpinned by improving my horticultural knowledge to give my creations the best chance of success. I treat it is art more than science, but the science of horticulture underpins the success of the art.

I respect the history of the hobby and enjoy reading about that too. Finally, I do it for the social connections that I have made and continue to make too.

(Psst ... there's a short cut home now if you want to say goodbye here and stop reading. All cool, I won't be offended) Otherwise, let's continue to stroll.

Perhaps Australian Bonsai style might be informed by the First Australians and we can take heed of their connection to ‘country’; a reference to the interdependent relationship between an individual and ancestral lands and seas. To my understanding this means we are of the land; land represents food, culture spirit and identity; embracing the idea that we are connected too and custodians of the land.

In many ways – bonsai is about custodianship and connection. Passed through generations either as singular plant or holistic concept and thus we could consider ourselves custodians and not owners of this pastime too. We take guidance from the land (including trees). Is this not analogous to learning from the trees.

I am reminded of a recent thread where Treeman quoted Basho and then followed up with his own thoughts:
From Treeman: Basho....''From the pine tree, learn of the pine tree'' Not necessarily about pines but life in general but in essence it means go to the source to learn about it. eg; You will learn much more about pine trees or any other tree from the tree itself than you ever would from someone telling you about it.
I believe a topic like this can be informed by this logic. To learn of an Australian style of Bonsai go to the source, the trees and the surrounds. This is what Rory said. This also links into Tim’s comment – our continent is enormous and varied; and thus so too our collective approach to bonsai. While this breadth of climate and landscape is a challenge, I can picture a time when I can say confidently that there is an Australian style – even though our environment is so varied … I am just not yet sure how that will manifest.

Indeed, our population is wide and varied and this melting pot of culture and ideas, surely this will inform our thinking too.

So, in time, how will we recognise an Australian Bonsai?

Let me head down another path. Perhaps our chefs were thinking something similar until people like Ben Shewry explored our local ingredients and more importantly, presented it at the tables of Attica. He and others, leading the world to often over-looked Australian ingredients and flavours; flavours unique to our land. Helping inform ‘Australian’ cuisine from the rich, multicultural tapestry of our people and the breadth and natural abundance of local ingredients.

In a similar vein, Australian Bonsai is still forming. This year’s wonderful Native Bonsai Conference confirmed this. I think that there are many pioneers leading the bonsai world to often over-looked or untried Australian trees. These good folk are brave enough to try, perhaps fail but in the end succeed and break new ground. That said, it seems to me that Australian Bonsai and an Australian style would not be restricted to Australian trees … for example, in my mind … the pines of the Mornington peninsula can inform our style just as much as the Moonah of the Mornington peninsula.

I would further add that if I decide to create a landscape inspired by Japan with beautiful maples – then that I will, regardless of an Australian style per se.

In finishing our rather long walk, one aspect of Australian culture that intersected with Bonsai today was the concept of mateship, comradery and giving things a crack. My step-father recently turned 70. His wonderful sisters live in QLD and they presented him with two magnificent pots, hand-crafted by the creative mind and hands of Ven Grasso who resides in the Samford Valley. I understand his bonsai collection is something to behold – alas, I have not seen it.

With one of two pots in hand, today we met out to Bonsai Sensation – owned by the wonderful and humble Tien. In his inimitable way, Tien raised an eyebrow when he saw the pot. I think the eyebrow cocked because pots presented something very, very different and quite challenging. Together we chatted about what might work… together we gave it a crack (not with a native tree I might add). Tien’s patience, time and quiet advice informed our way and surely that, in part, is what this hobby is this is all about. It is for me anyway! Bringing good people and ideas together and having a crack. I’d post a photo but alas, I don’t have one.

So I’ll end with my own Australian styled bonsai … trying to re-create a sense of sun, sand and sea with these casuarina’s and a Murrumbung Studio pot. It’s reasonably poor bonsai but it’s where I my skills are, at this stage. As they progress – as I learn how to grow and refine natives, it will only get better.
IMG_6659.jpg
…….
As I mentioned at the start, I am conflicted – we could just keep it simple... just look to the trees for inspiration.

Thanks for the walk. :)

PS - In all that, I don't think I answered Jiro's question but hey ... ramble I will. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Jiro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jiro »

Yeah, I can't disagree that on one level it is tinkering in the garden and a form of relaxation and I'm not trying to suggest in anyway that anyone doing that shouldn't be. There are so many reasons people do bonsai and that is fine. Those are all things that contribute to Australian bonsai culture. I'm just trying to stimulate the a discussion about what people think and feel on the topic because I want to hear other ideas and I also believe it is a way to push things to a higher level.

Of course styles and culture have developed over centuries but that doesn't mean you can't discuss it and bring some intentionality. I'm not suggesting setting up a formal tradition of Australian bonsai. Just ideas and putting thought into what we might be doing.

In terms of having given up on natives because they die well... of course if we don't develop our bonsai culture we aren't going to learn the horticultural techniques required to keep native species healthy.

Just wanted to hear some ideas and start a discussion instead i'm feeling like I just farted in an elevator.
Jiro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jiro »

brilliant post MJL, you make some excellent points. I enjoyed the long walk and your casuarina forest planting. Thank you.
鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Korean Bonsai Association

Post by 鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai »

What I am saying is that none of the traditionally 'bonsai practicing' cultures set out to develop 'their own style' of bonsai.

Rather the styles and techniques came about by the availability of species, climate and best geographic applications. This was an organic process.

Hence, I would strongly argue that if the art was kept alive for long enough it would naturally develop it's own geographically defined traits as per species, climate and horticultural practice...therefore the process does not in any way need to be forced but rather, the hobby should be sustained until the time which it naturally develops these characteristics.

Basically we should be supporting each other more actively like our European and American counterparts.

From what I have seen Australia has a stronger Chinese and Vietnamese style Influence due to immigration and in my mind if that is what sets the atmosphere and trend for Australian bonsai then so be it.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”