Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Eucalyptus Gavingii

Post by Rory »

Eucalyptus GavinGii

This lovely base was gifted to me by GavinG on a trip to Canberra in 2020....hence the scientific name.
GavinG has many beautiful Eucalyptus trees in his collection.
I finally got around to repotting it today.
I do love it, but all the local pests absolutely love it too. I have to continually spray it once a month or so.
Euc G 1-01 15Jan2021.jpg
15Jan2021

Euc G 1-02 18Jan2023.jpg
18Jan2023
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Eucalyptus Gavingii

Post by Rory »

Euc G 1-03 03Nov2023.jpg.jpg
03Nov2023

I have the bonsai pot ready for this one. But I had recently trunk chop to get more growth down low. I would be an idiot to put it into a bonsai pot right now. Patience.
I am very happy, as it has produced buds all over the area I want to start the new leader from.
You have to be careful trunk chopping Eucs, as you can sometimes get unwanted dieback going down a lot further than you anticipated, which is why I cut much higher.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

I must have been mad to give it to you... It has a nice base, certainly - I've always found the next step of developing credible branch structure difficult. Can't help on the species... Have you compared it to E. punctata in your area? Does it shed its bark around now?

Have fun!

Gavin
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

GavinG wrote: November 6th, 2023, 3:36 am I must have been mad to give it to you... It has a nice base, certainly - I've always found the next step of developing credible branch structure difficult. Can't help on the species... Have you compared it to E. punctata in your area? Does it shed its bark around now?

Have fun!

Gavin
Hi Gavin,

I hope you and the wife are going well. Long time no see. You need to come up here and visit me.

It definitely doesn’t resemble E. Punctata no. I have no idea what species it is, but wow. It’s definitely the best Eucalyptus I’ve ever grown whatever it is. It reduces the leaves really easily. It’s incredibly hardy, for both drought and severe root reduction.
Now that I have full sun, the internodes are very short and it will be perfect for bonsai life.

When you gave it to me at the Native plant symposium, it didn’t look anything like this though. It had a few straggly roots at the base. I had planted it deeper than its soil line at the time to encourage more roots, which proved excellent with a mass of roots developing. It’s certainly a stupid wives tale that you can’t plant Eucs below the current line, or if it has a lignotuber. I’ve done this on countless Eucs without a problem.

I wish I had more of this Eucalytpus species. Now that I have full sun and the way I style my trees, (allow them to grow a lot and tell me which way they want to be styled)…. It means most of my trees will hopefully flower and I might be able to get an ID on it.
Yes, it’s almost finished shedding its bark now. It sent out new shoots so quickly after the trunk chop. (I think it was only about 10 - 12 days)
This and a E. olidia are definitely my favourite Eucs.
I am very grateful you gave this to me.
It certainly had your characteristic trademark hunchback/bent over start to its development that your Eucs are well known for, when you gave it to me. I do often laugh when I’m working on this, thinking about what dry, sarcastic comment you’d say to me as I’m working it.

p.s I have Grant to thank for my large Bankisa collection, but by far, the most number of genus I have is now Eucalyptus.
Without any possums, and full sun for fast growth to dismiss Myrtle rust, I have more Eucalyptus now than any other genus, and I have you to thank for that, with your awesome trees that made me want to give them another serious attempt. I’ll try to get more of my progressions updated for those: nicholii, costata, olidia (amazing), citriodora (wow, the scent, it’s out of this world), melliodora, cladocalyx nana, virudius dwarf, wimmerensis, polyanthomos, crebra and roseacea
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Return to “Eucalyptus”