Lane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Undecided....
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Re: Port Jackson fig

Post by Lane »

I have read/heard elsewhere that complete defoliation is a harsh technique that we should avoid as it is a big shock to the tree to recover from, especially when it is done each and every year.

I wondered if this was applicable to a species as vigorous as Port Jackson Figs and some of the other tropical species, and reading your post has me contemplating further.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Progressing beautifully Mike,enjoying your tree..cheers Anthony
Bonsaifan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Bonsaifan »

Mike

awesome looking tree by the way.

When you said "few cuttings planted together in a pot" - did you wire them together or did you just plant them loose but close together?

Bonsaifan
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Lovely tree Mike. I preferred it with the lower branches but we all look at trees through different eyes.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia

Post by Rory »

Hi Mike,

I can see why you have removed the lower branches. I see what you're doing and where you are trying to get to. It will work eventually, as this will instantly create a better crown, and then you can grow everything out in proportion and perhaps still bring the outer lower branches lower and longer perhaps as the crown starts to fill out better if these branches are more vigorous. I find with my figs I like to trim a bit of the upper half of the tree to promote strength in the lower areas. But I still but back hard everywhere in Summer to promote ramification.

I would have gone the other way like Bodhi says, but then again, its not my tree and I don't know which parts may just not be performing for whatever reason. So there will be factors involved which influence why someone would reduce growth from certain areas etc.

When you say defoliation may not be working, I had to think about an older member of our bonsai club, who basically grows mainly figs. He apparently defoliates up to 6 or 7 times a year. I don't know if this is chinese whispers, but he definitely defoliates a lot. He has teeny tiny leaves as a result, but I believe the majority of his trees are of a girth that he is now content with, and simply concentrates on ramification and leaf reduction now.

I have defoliated my figs, but usually only once during each year, but I usually defoliate everywhere to try and encourage more ramification all over. Perhaps where we are (we get a lot of humidity and moisture covering the tree every morning in the central coast 'basin' where we are) it is better growing conditions for the tree all over. I just feel that I don't get enough sun to warrant more than 1 defoliation a year, and I don't defoliate for leaf reduction, (I am probably 20 years away from caring about that yet), but obviously do it to try and improve ramification whilst maintaining trunk growth.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Hi Mike,
Great work on this tree. You have some really nice, natural looking fusion going on there, with many of these PJ Fig multi trunks, they look like a cobbled together arrangement of sticks, you have done really well and avoided that altogether, while creating a pleasing image. Colour and texture matching is very good with the individual trees, did you construct this tree from cuttings off the same parent?

I think that even though you have climate protection for this tree, total defoliation is still probably hit and miss affair this far south, we just don't get the sunlight hours that our Northern brethren are blessed with. Partial or selective defoliation is definitely a better bet, although you have to like the styling convenience that a leafless tree allows you.

Keep us posted on this tree.

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Rory wrote:
Hi Mike,

I can see why you have removed the lower branches. I see what you're doing and where you are trying to get to. It will work eventually, as this will instantly create a better crown, and then you can grow everything out in proportion and perhaps still bring the outer lower branches lower and longer perhaps as the crown starts to fill out better if these branches are more vigorous. I find with my figs I like to trim a bit of the upper half of the tree to promote strength in the lower areas. But I still but back hard everywhere in Summer to promote ramification.

I would have gone the other way like Bodhi says, but then again, its not my tree and I don't know which parts may just not be performing for whatever reason. So there will be factors involved which influence why someone would reduce growth from certain areas etc.
Hi Rory,

Yeah I thought about it a bit. Removing those branches was a bit of a decision! However, to my eye those branches appeared a bit too contrived or forced to me. I'm leaning more and more towards styling without forcing the issue (if you know what I mean) I think I will get a much more natural appearance in the end. And if I don't, well that's just too bad now! :lol: I like braches to flow upwards and outwards in an easy natural way. There are 2 reasons for branches that grow horizontally (well 2 main reasons) One is because of sheer weight and the other is due to shading from the ones above. Neither of these two reason made sense to me on this tree. I may be wrong?????

Mojo and Bonsaifan, these were cuttings from the same tree, placed close together and grown in a pot for a couple of years then in the ground for a few more.
Last edited by treeman on April 21st, 2016, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Bonsaifan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Bonsaifan »

Thanks, was of two minds of what to do with the cuttings I have growing but you've given me inspiration to plant them close together instead of seperately.
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

Post by Webos »

G'day Treeman,
I think your tree was a much better composition before you took off the lower branches. I think you've made your tree look much more immature by taking them off and it will take a long time to regain that perceived maturity. To me, the lower branches made sense by displaying those old big wide low-sweeping branches that you see on the giant specimens open parks and gardens. Length and weight have pressured them into a horizontal position.

I'm sure your master plan will produce a great tree eventually, but I also think that your previous plan was well on the way to delivering a mature and well balanced bonsai which would have been equally good once achieved.

Always quality posts from the Treeman, keep it coming..

Adam
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia

Post by Rory »

I took a long hard look and observed the first main trunks of many port Jackson limbs that come out and it is interesting, as I now very much think you have made the right step.

More ton bays even often have tendencies to go up and then out and down, but there will always be exceptions. But it's interesting when you look closely and notice how so many of the trunks to up up up.

I hadn't given figs much thought of their natural styling, thinking they were fairly easy until reading this thread.
I will not be styling my MB like my PJ now either.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227

Return to “Ficus”