Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: Leptospermum scoparium 'burgundy queen' 1

Post by Rory »

L. scoparium 1-07 03Nov2023.jpg.jpg
03Nov2023

This was repotted 2 weeks ago, slight root prune and placed into a purple Tokoname wood fired bonsai pot. I can't remember the potter, but I'll look another time. Takeyoshi said it was a rare toko potter, but for the life of me I can't remember.

Do you know what is so beautiful about seeing this species, 2 weeks after its been repotted and root pruned?.....
The fact that its still alive.

Repotting these guys is scarey and you have to be very, very, very careful, and take your time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Rory ,
Great to see all the updates . All looking well. Love this Burgundy Queen about to repot a few as well however a bit smaller so hopefully not to stressfull.
Cheers John
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Thanks for the post Rory. Scoparium is one of my absolute faves but, scares me to death to even attempt 😅 what methods do you use when repotting/root pruning?

Cheers mate
Mickey
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

boom64 wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 8:18 pm Hi Rory ,
Great to see all the updates . All looking well. Love this Burgundy Queen about to repot a few as well however a bit smaller so hopefully not to stressfull.
Cheers John
Yeah, I’ve found the older ones seem to give the same result.
I no longer even have the spray on any forceful pressure at all. Rather I prefer just wetting the roots and gently easing them apart and then cutting back the outer unwanted roots seems to work better. Good luck John.

Mickeyjaytee wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 9:37 pm Thanks for the post Rory. Scoparium is one of my absolute faves but, scares me to death to even attempt 😅 what methods do you use when repotting/root pruning?

Cheers mate

Well, first off, as you can see…. this tree is over potted.
I don’t recommend anyone does this. However, my wife has ‘politely’ requested that I no longer have my bonsai in training pots and have them displayed in bonsai pots. We also have full sun now, so over potting isn’t as much of a concern as it was with low sun.

I apply all the same methods as to any other standard native repot, except I no longer ‘spray’ the roots to ease them apart. You have to be very gentle with the root systems on scoparium.
Do not pull the roots or use a ‘root rake’ like you might use on a Casuarina or Melaleuca. Only use your fingers, and be gentle. If you have to remove roots, carefully cut them, don’t pull or damage the surrounding roots.

They’re a real oxymoron for Bonsai….very hardy trees, but only if you don’t touch the roots. :no:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Brekel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tas natives
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Brekel »

From my experience with L.scoparium, if you think you've lost one after repotting or a root prune, don't give up too quick.
When I moved one from a training pot to a bonsai pot, it lost all leaves within a week or two and was looking quite dead. Stayed that way for 3 months before buds started to appear, total of 4 months until leaves reappeared.
They're such hardy, vigorous growing trees and you can do anything above ground. But the roots are the total opposite.
Nothofagus-Melaleuca-Leptospermum-Lagarostrobos-Cedrus-Acer

Return to “Leptospermum”