Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Leptospermum scoparium 'red cascade'

Post by Rory »

Leptospermum scoparium 'red cascade'

This was purchased from Glendale Native Plant Nursery in Newcastle for $16.95 in Feb 2020
I originally purchased 2 of these at the same price, but one didn't survive the initial repot.
I also had a few seedlings, but I didn't water them properly :palm:

Tips for growing:
-Leave a lot of foliage on them at all times.
-Don't allow them to get bone dry. (although this subspecies has remarkably better drought tolerance than most people think. The only time I've lost them is from too much root removal, not by being left to dry out. And I have let them go bone dry before, but they eventually recovered.)
-Avoid wiring, clip-and-grow produces wonderful movement.
-They can grow okay in a heavy mix, but for best results I'd recommend a medium drainage mix (one that requires watering within about 48 hours on a partly sunny day), and I just use slow-release osmocote fertilizer.
-Best to avoid any root work when its below about 7 degrees overnight temps.
-They love water and don't seem bothered by having wet feet.
-They grow very well in both shade, semi-shade or full sun. But for me, best results were from semi-shade.
-Do not remove a lot of roots or foliage in one go ; do it slowly in stages, over a 5+ year period
-Do not use a strong spray hose/jet on the roots, as it can damage the outer layer of the root.
-When doing root work (removal), make sure you remove the flowers/buds straight afterwards.
-For the first ever root work you do, I would actually recommend just easing the roots apart and untangling them. Don't remove much root at this initial stage. You can then simply reduce the rootball over the years that follow.
-You can cut back branches hard, but I recommend cutting back half of the branching in one session, then next year cut back the other half. This ensures you have foliage for good health all year round. They shoot back really well from all areas right up to the cut. However, being only about 3-4 year old stock that I've trialled, I can't concur if they readily shoot back on old wood.

This is a delightful species. The flowers on this variant are probably the nicest I've found so far on all the different Scopariums, because they are smaller than the large double flowered varieties.

I hate cascade Bonsai. Most of the time they look contrived and ridiculous to me. (sorry). This will be grown with a strong upward trunk, and multi trunks coming off and weeping down.
L scoparium red 1-01 08Feb2020.jpg
08Feb2020
L scoparium red 1-02 05Mar2021.jpg
05Mar2021
L scoparium red 1-03 10Jan2022.jpg
10Jan2022

I realize its not quite yet 01.01.2023, but its easier to post that its 2023, so looking back people can easily distinguish that its a year apart. Its only 1 day before the actual date.
L scoparium red 1-04 01Jan2023.jpg
01Jan2023
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: Leptospermum scoparium 'red cascade'

Post by Rory »

L scoparium red 1-05 03Nov2023.jpg.jpg
03Nov2023

Placed into a Japanese Tokoname Keishin pot. (might go into a similar one but smaller as time goes on).

The most beautiful thing about this is that its been 2 weeks since it was repotted, and its still alive. :palm: Everything else is a bonus when you grow these species.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227

Return to “Leptospermum”