Post your latest purchase or impulse buy

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Post your latest purchase or impulse buy

Post by TimIAm »

If you ever want to go for a trip, Bonsai World Jiliby have a great selection of ficus in the nursery stock, semi-worked and worked range. All at very reasonable prices.

Nesci's have some collectible level ficus (think large/impressive), they also have some in a section which have been worked on (already trimmed and placed in ceramic pots) but I only spotted a couple of PJF in their nursery stock section. They did have about half a dozen nursery stock willow-leaf ficus. They did have quite a few in their starter range.

Agree it's hard to find developed stock online.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

BonsaiBobbie what variety of ficus are you after?
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

KIRKY wrote: March 8th, 2023, 10:09 am BonsaiBobbie what variety of ficus are you after?
Cheers
Kirky
Hi Kirky,

probably Port Jackson. Seem to do best at my house / in the new apartment.
--
No idea what I am doing…
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

TimIAm wrote: March 7th, 2023, 8:58 pm If you ever want to go for a trip, Bonsai World Jiliby have a great selection of ficus in the nursery stock, semi-worked and worked range. All at very reasonable prices.

Nesci's have some collectible level ficus (think large/impressive), they also have some in a section which have been worked on (already trimmed and placed in ceramic pots) but I only spotted a couple of PJF in their nursery stock section. They did have about half a dozen nursery stock willow-leaf ficus. They did have quite a few in their starter range.

Agree it's hard to find developed stock online.
Ta. That is good to know. I'll factor in a trip there the next time I visit my Mum up North, or do a Bonsai road trip!!! :tu:
--
No idea what I am doing…
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Walked past this at one of my usual nursery haunts and figured it was time i gave natives a go, and angophora is one that i've considered a few times before but haven't found any decent material to begin with.

Angophora costata, nice start to a trunk, no idea what i'm doing with it whatsoever so i'll be trying to find some threads other people have done on them. I am hesitant to cut back hard on it and scar the beautiful trunk, but i may not have too much choice in that either.
IMG_2023-05-06-16-00-21-122.jpg
IMG_2023-05-06-16-00-10-374.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

TimS wrote: May 7th, 2023, 10:21 am Angophora costata, nice start to a trunk, no idea what i'm doing with it whatsoever so i'll be trying to find some threads other people have done on them. I am hesitant to cut back hard on it and scar the beautiful trunk, but i may not have too much choice in that either.

Hi TimS,

I also picked up an Angophora costata just recently that looks identical to yours, shape, trunk, width etc. I treated it exactly the same as the example in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

And this has a photo of the Angophora costata that I purchased as well:

viewtopic.php?p=298929#p298929

Depending on where you live though, I wouldn't be doing anything with it now until about October/November.
By memory I repotted and separated the roots of the Angophora costata in about February as well. I would not be doing that now at this time of year though.

The costata is alive and well, but hasn't put on any new growth really, apart from a few tiny shoots. Its the same for the polyanthemos. Bloody pests nibble away at the polyanthemos, but they don't touch the Angophora costata though. Gall wasps will plague the costata in time though. They always do.

Also, I'm not familiar with the potter in the background of your photo. Is that one of Tim The Toolmans?
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Rory wrote: May 7th, 2023, 11:38 am
TimS wrote: May 7th, 2023, 10:21 am Angophora costata, nice start to a trunk, no idea what i'm doing with it whatsoever so i'll be trying to find some threads other people have done on them. I am hesitant to cut back hard on it and scar the beautiful trunk, but i may not have too much choice in that either.

Hi TimS,

I also picked up an Angophora costata just recently that looks identical to yours, shape, trunk, width etc. I treated it exactly the same as the example in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

And this has a photo of the Angophora costata that I purchased as well:

viewtopic.php?p=298929#p298929

Depending on where you live though, I wouldn't be doing anything with it now until about October/November.
By memory I repotted and separated the roots of the Angophora costata in about February as well. I would not be doing that now at this time of year though.

The costata is alive and well, but hasn't put on any new growth really, apart from a few tiny shoots. Its the same for the polyanthemos. Bloody pests nibble away at the polyanthemos, but they don't touch the Angophora costata though. Gall wasps will plague the costata in time though. They always do.

Also, I'm not familiar with the potter in the background of your photo. Is that one of Tim The Toolmans?
Thanks very much for the links there, i'll have a good read through them and get my head around this whole native bizzo. I did commit sin #1 by not checking what the roots were doing when i picked up up whoops. Can't do much about the gall wasp, it cost me all of about $40 so not like i'm into it for big bucks anyway.

Not sure about Tim the Toolman, but the potter may be accurately described as TimS the Tool :lol: Old treated pine fence palings i had laying around from years back when a fence got replaced. It was knock up some grow boxes with them, or pay the tip to take them, so i knocked up some boxes knowing i wasn't going to be putting edibles in them. Not convinced about their effectiveness, but when you're out of suitable training pots then needs must as the devil wants.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Welcome to Eucalypts! You can cut hard, in the heat of summer when you do root pruning. Because it has large leaves, you'll be looking for a large bonsai, so grow long, cut back hard each time, and make a trunk with interesting movement!

The A. costata at the NBPCA is magnificent, large, and old, and shows what you can do with the species. You can see the scars of a number of heavy cut-backs on the back of the tree - it has been grown very skilfully.

Large pot, plenty of water and fertiliser, and watch it go mad! Don't expect them to do what they're told...

Gavin
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

I love the Angophora Costata or the Red great first Euc’s imo. It will need to be a larger bonsai as Gavin stated.
Also make sure to keep it well watered come summer. I have found bonsai Euc’s during summer are really thirsty.
The one at NBPCA was originally a garden tree well over 10 feet at the time it blew over during a storm after weeks of heavy rain here in Melbourne. Probably one of the earliest native tree I had seen used as a bonsai. It was successfully saved and turned into a bonsai by Ted Williams. Well worth a look it’s a stunningly natural tree stands last time I saw it at about 80-90cm. If anyone has a recent pic of it would love to see it again.
Cheers
Kirky
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

GavinG wrote: May 8th, 2023, 12:17 pm Welcome to Eucalypts! You can cut hard, in the heat of summer when you do root pruning. Because it has large leaves, you'll be looking for a large bonsai, so grow long, cut back hard each time, and make a trunk with interesting movement!

The A. costata at the NBPCA is magnificent, large, and old, and shows what you can do with the species. You can see the scars of a number of heavy cut-backs on the back of the tree - it has been grown very skilfully.

Large pot, plenty of water and fertiliser, and watch it go mad! Don't expect them to do what they're told...

Gavin
Thanks very much indeed for the tips about the large pot and plenty of feed and water and the being ready to adapt to them doing what they want. Certainly the NBPCA tree is huge influence in giving it a go myself, and since i tend to prefer large scale trees i'm not put off at all by that. Looking forward to the learning process with it and doing something a bit different to my usual maples
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

KIRKY wrote: May 8th, 2023, 1:46 pm I love the Angophora Costata or the Red great first Euc’s imo. It will need to be a larger bonsai as Gavin stated.
Also make sure to keep it well watered come summer. I have found bonsai Euc’s during summer are really thirsty.
The one at NBPCA was originally a garden tree well over 10 feet at the time it blew over during a storm after weeks of heavy rain here in Melbourne. Probably one of the earliest native tree I had seen used as a bonsai. It was successfully saved and turned into a bonsai by Ted Williams. Well worth a look it’s a stunningly natural tree stands last time I saw it at about 80-90cm. If anyone has a recent pic of it would love to see it again.
Cheers
Kirky
Totally agree, even as an admitted exotic deciduous species addict, the NBPCA one is so so special and a large incentive for me to give it a crack. It will be nice to think outside the box after years of JM and exotic deciduous growing, but also expanding on the maples and the prunus as well!
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

These are from May 2021, I'm sure someone has later shots. It was very impressive then, no doubt it's improved a lot even in the last two years.
_DSC3973.jpg
_DSC3977.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Thanks Mel :tu:
Cheers
Kirky
Abarnes93
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Jbp
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Abarnes93 »

My latest purchase was this shimpaku from Neil from shibui bonsai. Great branch structure and trunk. Hopefully I can trim and wire it to do it justice
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Abarnes93 wrote: May 9th, 2023, 7:01 pm My latest purchase was this shimpaku from Neil from shibui bonsai. Great branch structure and trunk. Hopefully I can trim and wire it to do it justice
Did you pick it up at the Northwest show? I grabbed a few prunus there with the same SB code and assumed it was Neil's including a nice purple leaf plum with a good little twin trunk

When you've given it a trim and wire post up the results, looks like a good start for a great mini tree in future

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”