Collected Callistemon

Bottle Brush
User avatar
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Posts: 417
Joined: December 11th, 2012, 12:13 pm
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: CBS & VNBC
Location: Canberra
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Collected Callistemon

Post by Keels »

Josh I'm a big fan of the trees you dig. I enjoy seeing what your up to when you post to Facebook. I thought i dig big trees but your next level. Super keen to see how the tree progresses as I've got a few big callistemons myself.
Check out my instagram account. It's a good laugh and i cover most local events.

http://instagram.com/bonsaiKeelz
User avatar
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Posts: 1507
Joined: January 9th, 2012, 9:28 pm
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly
Location: Mornington Peninsular, VIc
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Collected Callistemon

Post by Josh »

Keels wrote: May 1st, 2020, 8:14 pm Josh I'm a big fan of the trees you dig. I enjoy seeing what your up to when you post to Facebook. I thought i dig big trees but your next level. Super keen to see how the tree progresses as I've got a few big callistemons myself.
Cheers mate. Glad you enjoy them. I love the challenge, I’ve had my eye on these for a few years so super happy I got them. Big trees are a long term project but one thing love about natives is they don’t stop growing so they fill out fast. Looking forward to developing these and will definitely update them. Only problem with big trees I had to buy another 50 bags of potting to replace what these used up 🤦‍♂️ Now to start saving for pots.
User avatar
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Posts: 2511
Joined: October 26th, 2014, 8:47 pm
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society
Location: Melbourne
Has thanked: 412 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: Collected Callistemon

Post by MJL »

:o :shock: :lost:
As Robin might say: "Holy big bonsai batman!"
Makes me think more of Niwaki ... people often talk of and love Japanese gardens, especially courtyard gardens - I certainly do and have many books on them.
I wonder whether these could be native Australian niwaki in an native Australian styled courtyard .... could be cool ... native bonsai and nikawi surrounding a raked dry river bed...
:geek:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
User avatar
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Posts: 417
Joined: December 11th, 2012, 12:13 pm
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: CBS & VNBC
Location: Canberra
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Collected Callistemon

Post by Keels »

Josh wrote: May 1st, 2020, 9:18 pm
Keels wrote: May 1st, 2020, 8:14 pm Josh I'm a big fan of the trees you dig. I enjoy seeing what your up to when you post to Facebook. I thought i dig big trees but your next level. Super keen to see how the tree progresses as I've got a few big callistemons myself.
.... Only problem with big trees I had to buy another 50 bags of potting to replace what these used up 🤦‍♂️ Now to start saving for pots.
Sounds like you need a sponsorship deal or two :lol: now who would entertain the idea :lost: garden centres cafes or machinery businesses..... You promote their business they scratch your back... Just one of my crazy ideas i guess :tu:
Check out my instagram account. It's a good laugh and i cover most local events.

http://instagram.com/bonsaiKeelz
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Posts: 354
Joined: June 15th, 2015, 6:23 pm
Bonsai Age: 31
Location: Winkie
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Collected Callistemon

Post by tgward »

stump or twig-I'm happy as long as it looks like an old tree. 'increase technique repertoire'
User avatar
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Posts: 1507
Joined: January 9th, 2012, 9:28 pm
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly
Location: Mornington Peninsular, VIc
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Collected Callistemon

Post by Josh »

MJL wrote: May 1st, 2020, 10:14 pm :o :shock: :lost:
As Robin might say: "Holy big bonsai batman!"
Makes me think more of Niwaki ... people often talk of and love Japanese gardens, especially courtyard gardens - I certainly do and have many books on them.
I wonder whether these could be native Australian niwaki in an native Australian styled courtyard .... could be cool ... native bonsai and nikawi surrounding a raked dry river bed...
:geek:
I’m a landscaper and work mainly with natives due to our area. This is something I’ve been discussing with my boss and he’s keen on the idea so some may head in that direction yet. I’d like to keep a couple as large “manicured” trees so to speak. I love the Japanese garden with large trees that are manicured.
Love you idea of one these with a raked dry river Bec.
User avatar
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Posts: 1507
Joined: January 9th, 2012, 9:28 pm
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly
Location: Mornington Peninsular, VIc
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Collected Callistemon

Post by Josh »

Keels wrote: May 1st, 2020, 10:17 pm
Josh wrote: May 1st, 2020, 9:18 pm
Keels wrote: May 1st, 2020, 8:14 pm Josh I'm a big fan of the trees you dig. I enjoy seeing what your up to when you post to Facebook. I thought i dig big trees but your next level. Super keen to see how the tree progresses as I've got a few big callistemons myself.
.... Only problem with big trees I had to buy another 50 bags of potting to replace what these used up 🤦‍♂️ Now to start saving for pots.
Sounds like you need a sponsorship deal or two :lol: now who would entertain the idea :lost: garden centres cafes or machinery businesses..... You promote their business they scratch your back... Just one of my crazy ideas i guess :tu:
Already got some deals going with a couple of nurseries swapping trees for pots or equipment so not such a crazy idea mate. I dug a heap of azaleas and camellias a while back so once recovered I’ll be doing trades with those.
Barter is the best form of sales in my opinion lol
User avatar
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Posts: 2511
Joined: October 26th, 2014, 8:47 pm
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society
Location: Melbourne
Has thanked: 412 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: Collected Callistemon

Post by MJL »

Josh wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 8:31 am
MJL wrote: May 1st, 2020, 10:14 pm :o :shock: :lost:
As Robin might say: "Holy big bonsai batman!"
Makes me think more of Niwaki ... people often talk of and love Japanese gardens, especially courtyard gardens - I certainly do and have many books on them.
I wonder whether these could be native Australian niwaki in an native Australian styled courtyard .... could be cool ... native bonsai and nikawi surrounding a raked dry river bed...
:geek:
I’m a landscaper and work mainly with natives due to our area. This is something I’ve been discussing with my boss and he’s keen on the idea so some may head in that direction yet. I’d like to keep a couple as large “manicured” trees so to speak. I love the Japanese garden with large trees that are manicured.
Love you idea of one these with a raked dry river Bec.
Cool. I think I have the right Josh and if so, see you at Waverley when meetings re-commence. Cheers, Mark
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
User avatar
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Posts: 1507
Joined: January 9th, 2012, 9:28 pm
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly
Location: Mornington Peninsular, VIc
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Collected Callistemon

Post by Josh »

MJL wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 11:08 am
Josh wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 8:31 am
MJL wrote: May 1st, 2020, 10:14 pm :o :shock: :lost:
As Robin might say: "Holy big bonsai batman!"
Makes me think more of Niwaki ... people often talk of and love Japanese gardens, especially courtyard gardens - I certainly do and have many books on them.
I wonder whether these could be native Australian niwaki in an native Australian styled courtyard .... could be cool ... native bonsai and nikawi surrounding a raked dry river bed...
:geek:
I’m a landscaper and work mainly with natives due to our area. This is something I’ve been discussing with my boss and he’s keen on the idea so some may head in that direction yet. I’d like to keep a couple as large “manicured” trees so to speak. I love the Japanese garden with large trees that are manicured.
Love you idea of one these with a raked dry river Bec.
Cool. I think I have the right Josh and if so, see you at Waverley when meetings re-commence. Cheers, Mark
Yep, you’ve got the right Josh. Hopefully not too much longer mate
User avatar
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Posts: 4635
Joined: July 14th, 2009, 9:04 pm
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai
Location: Myrtleford VIC
Been thanked: 82 times
Contact:

Re: Collected Callistemon

Post by alpineart »

HI josh , very nice score , good to see an Excavator assisting the loading process .

Personally I'd rather look at a trunk than a twig , shaped or not . Thank god were all different in this hobby .

Cheers . Alpine
User avatar
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Posts: 1507
Joined: January 9th, 2012, 9:28 pm
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly
Location: Mornington Peninsular, VIc
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Collected Callistemon

Post by Josh »

alpineart wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 8:05 am HI josh , very nice score , good to see an Excavator assisting the loading process .

Personally I'd rather look at a trunk than a twig , shaped or not . Thank god were all different in this hobby .

Cheers . Alpine
Cheers mate. I was expecting to dig them but very happy when he called the excavator over. Good operator too. Dug them out and dropped them nicely on the Ute.
These have nice trunks too so should shape up ok.
Post Reply

Return to “Callistemon”