What is a good bonsai soil mix?

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 19

What is a good bonsai soil mix?

Post by BoNZai »

I just wanted to give my $0.05 worth on the topic of soil mixes.

Ask 10 people about bonsai mixes and more then likely you’ll end up with 10 different recipes.
What ever the recipe, if it works, don’t change it

To understand the basics I think it is important to understand what the tree asks from its roots:
1. provide me with proper anchorage
2. provide me with sufficient water and nutrients

In order to provide this service the roots need: soil, water, nutrients and most importantly and very often forgotten; Oxygen.

When repotting, wet, smelly soils and thin black roots indicate lack of oxygen
If this is the case, add more free draining material.
If the tree dries out too quickly, add more water holding material

Nice, fleshy, plump and light coloured roots indicate all is well and this will be mirrored with good growth above soil level.

Different mixes for different trees?
More then likely, but I keep it reasonably simple by using three categories of trees:
1 Deciduous
2 Evergreen
3 Flowering
4 Maybe add another one for my ozzy mates being (sub) tropicals

I use a good quality potting mix (Yates) and mix this with Kitty litter from the Warehouse (you know, the place were everyone gets a bargain!)
I do not bulk mix, I make up enough for every single tree and mix the potting mix and the kitty litter accordingly.

The mix is not the be and end all of bonsai success. Watering is!!! This should never be a chore as it is quality time with your tree! Observe and learn. It tells you whether the water is running trough the pot rapidly or it overflows the pot as soon as you point the rose on the plant.

I hope this helps and my sincere apologies for the late post. I suppose, most of the repotting has already been done

Cheers

BoNZai
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: What is a good bonsai soil mix?

Post by Pup »

Recently there has been quite a lot of disscusion on this very subject as to what and what not to use.
Here in Australia the use of Kitty litter has be discounted by a lot of grower's. Diatomite, scoria and now Akadama, (as it is now available at a reasonable cost) are the preferred additives I believe.

My mix serves all my tree's well. The only change is the size of material used for Shohin and smaller tree's.

Native, tropical and exotic bonsai mix;
Two parts crushed granite,
Two parts sifted Akadama,
One part coco peat (hydrated blocks of choir peat or ground coconut husk's).
All components at 3mm to 4mm size. For Shohin and smaller I use 1mm - 2mm size.

Pup :)
Last edited by Steven on September 16th, 2009, 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color][color=#008000]Bonsai[/color], BSoST

Post by Japh »

I recently moved my Chinese Elm into a grow box, which I filled with 50% Attapulgite and 50% Amgrow Bonsai Potting Mix.

I have NO idea whether this was a good idea, or if I just signed the death warrant on my little bonsai... hopefully the former.
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Japh you should have no problems :)

Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Japh »

Pup wrote:Japh you should have no problems :)
Oh good! Thanks, Pup :D

The end product looked like this:
014.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

:arrow: looks pretty good to me :D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Hey BoNZai what brand of Kitty litter are they selling at the Wharehouse in NZ. We ran the wharehouse out of Australia a couple of years ago after they sold the shops to Golo they left a nice going away present for the misses when they left :D

I just bought another bag of Chandlers today Japh on specail for $4.50. Not sure if you sifted but if not that is the only thing different I would recomend both the clay and the potting mix.
I just wonderd I will have to try baking some of this. first the oven and then the kiln. Probably more trouble than it's worth but might be intresting.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Japh »

Bretts wrote:I just bought another bag of Chandlers today Japh on specail for $4.50. Not sure if you sifted but if not that is the only thing different I would recomend both the clay and the potting mix.
I just wonderd I will have to try baking some of this. first the oven and then the kiln. Probably more trouble than it's worth but might be intresting.
Yeah, the bag I got was on special at the time too! I did sift the cat litter, but I didn't sift the soil mix... will that matter? Should I be rushing out an re-doing my grow box, or just make sure I do it next time?

I used a fairly fine sieve for the cat litter too, so it was basically to get rid of dust and the really, really fine stuff. I guess it's something I'll refine and change as time goes on and I learn more.

Watching and guiding
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I generally don't sift my organic matter on many of my trees I am growing out. Just too much work but the more important the tree the more care I take. The taller nursery pots tend to drain better than flatter bonsai pots as well. With the type of setup you have I would think it would be fine. In some pots you will be sure to notice the difference but I say just keep it in mind next time and compare the difference.
Sounds like you did a good job of the clay.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BoNZai »

Bretts wrote:Hey BoNZai what brand of Kitty litter are they selling at the Wharehouse in NZ. We ran the wharehouse out of Australia a couple of years ago after they sold the shops to Golo they left a nice going away present for the misses when they left :D

I just bought another bag of Chandlers today Japh on specail for $4.50. Not sure if you sifted but if not that is the only thing different I would recomend both the clay and the potting mix.
Hi Brett

the brand is PET TEAM and is made from natural Zeolite $8.00 for 12 kg

Cheers

BoNZai
BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BoNZai »

Pup wrote:Recently there has been quite a lot of disscusion on this very subject as to what and what not to use.
Here in Australia the use of Kitty litter has be discounted by a lot of grower's. Diatomite, scoria and now Akadama, (as it is now available at a reasonable cost) are the preferred additives I believe.

My mix serves all my tree's well. The only change is the size of material used for Shohin and smaller tree's.

hi Pup,

can you give me the nutshell about the discussions and and why it has been discounted for use in bonsai mixes please?
It seems to be made (expanded under steam) from natural Zeolite, the same way, Perlite is produced
Looking forward to your reply

cheers

BoNZai
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

BoNZai wrote:
Pup wrote:Recently there has been quite a lot of disscusion on this very subject as to what and what not to use.

hi Pup,

can you give me the nutshell about the discussions and and why it has been discounted for use in bonsai mixes please?
It seems to be made (expanded under steam) from natural Zeolite, the same way, Perlite is produced
Looking forward to your reply

cheers

BoNZai
I have in the past tried it and found it broke down very quickly and became mush. It appears that Kitty litter is very variable from Country to country and of the Two hemispheres . Most of the respondents have had the same experience as I.
Stymie from the UK uses kitty litter exclusively.
There is not right or wrong here, just what works for you!! I have with some success been growing for 24 years. So as I have said many times if it works for you go for it.
All I tried to point out what is considered a good Bonsai Mix based on the California aka John.Y Naka. Which is what I first learned when I started growing Bonsai
As did you on your experience. In those 24 years I have modified my mix twice. While I have tried many different mixes. I always end up with my mix. It works for me. Pup :)

BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BoNZai »

Thanks for your words of wisdom Pup

I agree, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
I have not been able to find Akadama in NZ. Mind you I have not been looking very hard.
Some other kiwis on here that are using it?

Cheers

BoNZai
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

BoNZai wrote:Thanks for your words of wisdom Pup

I have not been able to find Akadama in NZ. Mind you I have not been looking very hard.

Cheers

BoNZai
AAGH I did not know there were more of you. :P :roll: :lol: ;) Pup

Is Leo Jury still around?. I met him in 1991 very nice bloke his wife was a very pleasent lady too.
He had some nice stuff way back then that was one of our nice memories of the shaky Isles.
Last edited by Pup on September 17th, 2009, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BoNZai »

Pup wrote:
BoNZai wrote:Thanks for your words of wisdom Pup

Cheers

BoNZai
AAGH I did not know there were more of you. :P :roll: :lol: ;) Pup

Is Leo Jury still around?. I met him in 1991 very nice bloke his wife was a very pleasent lady too.
He had some nice stuff way back then that was one of our nice memories of the shaky Isles.
Yeh, apparantly there are more of us now then sheep nowadays :)
I don't know Leo jury so I can't help you
BoNZai

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”