Wollemi Pine cuttings

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
quodlibet_ens
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1

Wollemi Pine cuttings

Post by quodlibet_ens »

I thought I'd share a picture of my Wollemi Pine cuttings. I would loke to have more, but the other shoots that have come through along the base of the trunk aren't long enough yet to take as cuttings.

Once these shoots get to around the 3-4 inch mark, I'll look to take them as cuttings.

According to one of the head botanists at Mt Tomah botanical gardens, a lot of the Wollemi pines people have in their homes are not doing so well. From the photos I sent them when asking about the best course of action when taking cuttings from these trees, I did receive a few compliments on the health of the tree. They are a beautiful tree and I'd love to see more of them around, and I thought a bonsai version would look brilliant, particularly with the interesting bark the Wollemi has.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Re: Wollemi Pine cuttings

Post by Redsonic »

Keep us posted on these please; Wollemi Pines are special.
quodlibet_ens
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by quodlibet_ens »

Redsonic wrote:Keep us posted on these please; Wollemi Pines are special.
I sure will. I got the tree when they were first made available to the public, which I think was around 2004-2006. I'm hoping to take a few more cutting once they grow out a bit more from the trunk to increase my chances of taking a successful cutting.

Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

This was shown at the Goulburn Bonsai Society show in 2014 and is interesting.
Did I mention that the GBS show is on again this coming weekend?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quodlibet_ens
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by quodlibet_ens »

Watto wrote:This was shown at the Goulburn Bonsai Society show in 2014 and is interesting.
Did I mention that the GBS show is on again this coming weekend?
This looks like a very young specimen. One of the great characteristics of a Wollemi is its "coco pops' style bark as you can see here:

The branches and leaves on the upper canopy also droop or weep down. I've not seen too many as bonsai before, so I'm keen to work out how to style a Wollemi.

Kunzea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Too many!
Bonsai Age: 47

Post by Kunzea »

Hi All
It's been nearly 4 years since these posts were made. I'm wondering how bonsai growers are progressing with the wollies as bonsai?

I'm particularly interested in the results of what shape(s) people are imagining for their trees. Do you aim for a 'standard' myogi shape, or have you worked out a way of making your tree look like a wollemi?

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”