During a recent trip to the local rubbish dump to dispose of some green waste I noticed a piece of timber that I thought might be useful in the construction of a bonsai display stand, or two. It was very dirty and had a degree of wood rot together with “use marks” and some damage that looked like wood worm activity. Those were the negatives, but the positives were it was mostly solid, it was about 450 mm wide and appeared from what I could see had a reasonable grain.
After cutting it into useful pieces there was enough timber for two stands and so I set about the making process.
The first job after cutting was to clean it and sand it.
I hope to use this stand at the next exhibition I put a tree in, but of course that will depend on the size of the tree.