How can I encourage flowers on A/Casuarina?

She-Oak, Australian Pine
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

How can I encourage flowers on A/Casuarina?

Post by Phil Rabl »

I have been reading up on Casuarina and Allocasuarina as bonsai (and thanks to those who have posted such useful information on this site) but have so far drawn a blank on how to encourage flowering on a Casuarina or Allocasuarina. I mean a mature tree, not one still in the development stage. E.g. when do the flower buds develop (and therefore, when should I stop the trimming that will remove the buds)? I appreciate that the timing of flowers will vary from climate to climate (I am in Canberra) but I would expect the length of time from buds developing to flowers appearing would be pretty much the same everywhere. According to the Coromandel Native Nursery in SA, male flowers grow on 1-yr-old growth and female flowers are usually produced on 2-yr-old wood in A. littoralis. Is this true of A/Casuarina generally?

All and any advice welcome. Thanks

Phil
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: How can I encourage flowers on A/Casuarina?

Post by Rory »

Now that's an interesting question I've not thought much about.
I can't imagine you'll have much luck, as in the refinement stage we're constantly trimming back so as not to allow thickening which develops really quickly on Allocasuarinas.
I'll be interested to see what others say.

Allocasuarina nana however, is spectacular for flowering. Every year they flower profusely and all over the tree for me... even in semi shade. As the needles are relatively short, there is no real need to trim back the shorter needles (only occasional rogue ones), thus you always get incredible flowering.
Funnily enough, I acquired the nana seedlings from a very small nursery just outside Canberra.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”