Yesterday was the monthly meeting of the local bonsai society and I took along a cotoneaster that was in desperate need of a trim. I had deliberately let this grow to allow the tree to gain some strength but the time had come.
An hour or so with the scissors and it was back to a more reasonable size. A few members and I also took the opportunity to discuss the tree for possible improvements (it really does need a lot of improvement) so we turned it around, put it at different angles and generally critiqued it. I have made a few decisions on the future for this tree and I will post the “new look” in six or eight months time.